Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Customizing / Fabrication career

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Suffergauge, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

I want to get into this field of work. I have been building, customizing, & fabricating stuff since I was a kid. I have a unique situation now and it is time to do what I enjoy. I believe the local communtiy college has a welding class which will help a lot, don't know how to weld.
    Does anyone have ideas on what I should look into, where/who to talk to for a direction? Harley shops? Machine shops? Any and all ideas and suggestions would be extemely helpful.

Thanks,

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Look into them all !!!! Welding shops that do the custom stuff.

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Community college or vo-tech are good places to start. Go to some local fab/sheetmetal shops and talk to the foreman.

John

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I'm sure theres a 4wd or race shop in Olympia. Go see whos the biggest and baddest. Hang around there for a while and get to know em. There are a few of the "race' shops here if you like Porche, Honda, Lotus, and Italian cars. It all crosses over, everything I learned in my later years I got from these shops, and Diesel repair shops. You just have to find the guy thats like 20 years ahead of you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

I am heading out today to the college, they offer a technical degree in welding. Then off to the welding/fabrication/customization shops to pick their brains. Wish me luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Ya Baby!! When I went to the local Votech I was absolutly overwhelmed with info! I ended up taking a 18mo.(2 year) course there! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Tell us how it goes!

7. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Jeff...tick-tock, the clock is running. Every person with a degree I ever met was usually a knucklehead.Find the best shop around and worm yer way in...you'll learn more in your first month than yer first year in college. Especially if the shop is righteous. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif