Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cut Fenders or Bushwacker Cutouts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coptezr, Mar 31, 2005.

1. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

i dont know what to do i need some help.. my balzer is grey with black rino liner on the bottom and i plan on putting some 36's that are wider so it will fill the fenders out more.. i just cant decide what way to go? :confused:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Just cut them!!! It's way cheaper :hack: :hack: :hack:

3. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

how nice is it going to look if i do it that way?

4. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

5. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

yea it looks ok but i like the look of the cutouts well how mu more tire space can get with cuting them then getting cutouts?

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Nicer than if you bash the cutouts against a rock or tree. Ask me how I know this :blush:

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

cut the fenders. i dont care for the fender flares. if you do it right it can turn out really good.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well all I can say is that I HAD to have fender flares to get the truck through inspection....

Personally I like the cutout flares... althought they dont give much cut though... fronts get 2" I think it was... 1" on each side and the back was allowed 4"... 2" front and 2" back... although I recentered my axle this way... just moved the wheel well.... went 4" in front of tire !!!!!

all I know is when I goto bloomsburg this year I am planning on leaving without a ticket (make a quick fab for my mudflaps and cut them down in size a bit first)
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/5_16_2004/bushwacker.htm

but I am going to put zero rates on the front.. move axle forward 1"... take flares off..go offroad and flex the truck... bring my sawzaw and cut till I am happy.. then try and figure out how to put the flares back on and cut them so they dont look bad

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you are ever going to wheel the rig, dont use cut outs. One good bash and they are toast. If you are so worried about the bling of a fender trim job, take it to a body shop and have them do it... they can give you a factory-like rolled edge etc if you really care... if you brought them the fender removed from the rig, the final price would prolly be less than a full set of bushwacker flares...

j

10. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

any more pics?

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Yup, me too! On my old 76, I just cut the fenders out. But that only had 40's on it. They didn't stick out as far as my 44's do. I know part of it is the 14" wide rims there on. The next rims will be 12's. or 10's with beadlocks.

My 73 has the bushwakers cut outs on them. They look decent, but they do break easy. I have glued mine a couple times. They really don't clear my 44's when stuffed. The flares are only 40" wide. They hit in the front since I moved the axel foward.
    [​IMG]