Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cut off my exhaust!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigjblazer, Apr 11, 2002.

1. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

Hey. I cut off my muffler and cat today, cause im too cheap to get flows, and its the loudest greatest sound EVER!!! and i only got a 305. Just thought i'd let everyone know, cause I'm so pleased with it.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm sure the cops will tell ya it's good too....good for a ticket,LOL

3. bigjblazer

yeah i was worried about that after i cut it off. do you happen to know anything about the noise laws or anything?

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i am not a lawyer but no cat's is illegal and noise ordinances are violated everytime you put the key in the ignition...

get some 1 chamber flows, atleast if you see the Cocheese you can let off the loud pedal and coast a bit...

5. bigjblazer

well see, what i did is left the tailpipe hangin out the back, so it looks like i still got a cat. Pretty tricky, eh?? (cocheese, HAHA thats awesome!!)

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Noise Laws?! We don't need no stinking noise laws! I don't have $220+ dollars to spend just on mufflers. I'd rather have an MSD box or something. I have just true dual 27" glasspacks on my shortbox and sure like it. I bet straight through sounds pretty mean too. People on here are always putting us loud guys down because we're supposed to be getting pulled over. Over the years we've had three vehicles that the mufflers rusted off and haven't had a problem. I'd say all combined, probably 7 years of no mufflers. Two were Blazers /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. My dad's a cop and he says he never cares about people with loud exhaust. One headlight burned out is a pet peeve of his though.

7. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Worst case scenario a fix it ticket.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have headers and dual striaght pipes. I don't care if people call me young, childish, whatever.

Glasspacks sound great on some trucks and are a great way to get the same sound as straights, only quieter.

Flows sound great on a big cam street machine, but after having one on my truck, it just has no place what so ever on a truck, period. That's not what a truck is supposed to sound like. Only my opinion though, some guys love 'em. Maybe on a 2wd with dumps....

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

LMAO
    I have nothing past the end of my mufflers.
    Just a big gaping hole. LMAO that 305 sounds mean.
    Y I see a cop and I just coast on by unless I am moving along then I slip it in nutral so it don't blat. LOL

10. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

heres an idea, cutt open the top of your cat, grind out all the insides, then weld the top back on, then put it on the truck.... batabing! ya got a cat, w/ the sound you like.
    i wish my parents would let me do that.....

11. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

just a thought but with no exhaust or backpressure won't certain parts of your engine start giving way. For example with it that wide open your heads on one side can start putting out more exhaust than the other side causing an unbalanced engine....I believe I have read something other than all the tickets with no exhaust. I think most people atleast run some sort of pipe to give even some sort or back pressure. I think of it like starting a block with no exhaust manifolds on it.

Oh yeah not to mention CO sepage into the cab at stop lights and idle depending on where the pipe stops. If you start getting super lightheaded or pass out......watch out... (Its worse in the winter when all the windows are up)

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The old technique is to cut the pipe off behind the cat and use a chisel or screwdriver to break up all of the internals. You can start the engine every now and then to blow out the stuff you're done with. After it's empty, the pipe gets welded back on and everything looks stock.

Newer cats flow decent, but the early ones (like some on K-5's) are a bit of a restriction. A good low cost alternative is to get a second cat from the junkyard and run dual exhaust with a cat on each line. Not technically legal, but just as clean with a lot less restriction and some smog checks will pass this, depends on the area. The fully legal solution is to buy a high buck high flow cat, Y from the manifolds to the cat and then Y out to cat-back duals.