Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cut off Switch?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Mar 3, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I posted this on off-road.com's forum b/c I couldn't get in here, but here we go:

I saw in the Summit catalog that they sell a cut off switch that if and when you are in an accident, or your truck is on fire or something, flip the cut off switch and it will disconnect any connections from the battery.
    My question is, can this be used as an anti-theft device? Like, can I flip the switch after I park it somewhere so no one can start up my truck while I'm gone and then flip it back on when I'm ready to go? Also, if I do this every night for long periods of time, would it harm my battery or anything else in anyway? Just a thought, b/c
    there are a bunch of punks out there in this world and I put too much time and money into my Blazer, I just don't want to have some bum take it from me. I don't like alarms or clubs.
    Boss

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I've used kill switches on everything I've ever owned. Usually use just a toggle switch hidden under the dash or something to cut the power either to the fuel pump or juice to the starter. The fuel pump was cool 'cause you could crank the thing till the cows come home and nothing, but as soon as you flip the switch, ready to go. I wouldn't put one between the battery and everything else personally but then again I hate resetting my radio stations. It also resets the codes for the computer (at least on mine) and I'm saving those for the day that I will fix that damn egr valve.

Just my $0.02

Kyle
    89K5

3. Boss

Kyle,

Can the cut off switch used to cut off connection from the battery be used to for the fuel pump and or starter? If not, where can I find such a kill switch like that? Are they expensive. The one for the battery was like $19.95 or something. Thanks for your help.
    Boss

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Boss,

All I've ever used was just a toggle switch just like the one's you find at your parts house. Nothing expensive. Find the hot wire that goes to your starter or fuel pump and splice that little bad boy in. Usually you have a fuse for the fuel pump so just find the wire's, splice in your toggle switch, mount it, and go. The starters just as easy. I like the fuel pump idea 'cause would be theif might think the things just a peice of junk and won't start. It also makes noise when he's trying to start it. My Truck usually gets parked pretty close to the bedroom window. If somebody's gonna start it I can hear 'em.

Kyle

5. Boss

Thanks Kyle. Yeah, I like that idea of connecting it to the fuel pump.
    Boss

6. Chrome Moly

Chrome Moly Registered Member

It's the purple wire on mine for the starter. I hid my kill switch in the lighter panel. '88 K5

Chrome Moly
    <font color=green>Resistance is Futile</font color=green> [​IMG]

7. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Try my solution......pet rattlesnake on floor board...WK

8. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I put a pushbutton switch in the back side of the cig. lighter for the starter wire. Just turn the key to run and you push the cig. lighter button in to power the starter solenoid. Just don't let anybody try to use the cig. lighter while the truck is running.
    Just my $.02

David 75K5

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

9. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

I actually seen that when I was in Tennesse one time, a 70 chevelle had a sticker on it said protected by viper.. WEll it had about a 15 foot snake laying across the dash...

Scott
    78blazer

10. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I use a kill switchon the starter. I used a
    pushbutton type and I hid it under the carpet.
    This way I just step on it and turn the ignition
    switch and no one knows that I have it. If you
    have to push any buttons like the cig lighter
    someone might see it. I also put bullet
    connectorsunder the dash where the wires go
    thruogh the firewall so if anyone else needs to
    drive t I just diconnect it. It's work great for
    3 yaers. This way if friends want to drive it I
    tell them if you can start it, you can drive it.
    no one can so no one drives it :)

Esteban[/b]

11. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

I like the fuel pump idea too, but (stupid question coming up) did they make a factory electric fuel pump, and if so does my 88 have one or how do I find out?

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

12. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Yes Steve88, you've got an electric fuel pump. Pick up a Haynes or Chilton manual. They probably have a diagram or description about the pump being located in your gas tank, how to disable it, etc.

13. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Very cool. Thanks.

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

14. militaryblazer

militaryblazer 1/2 ton status

I have an idea for anti-theft. Buy one of those switches that has a ON-OFF-ON type switch. In one position the truck would start when you turn the key. In the other on position it would sound one of those loud horns or just your regular horn(to attract attention to your vehicle. If it was a loud noise the THUG would probably just run off.

[​IMG]See more--&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/m1009_86>http://www.geocities.com/m1009_86</A>

15. Josh

Josh Registered Member

Ensure that the switch you plan on using is strong enough to handle the current loads. Remeber volts X amps = watts. If you can't find a switch to handle the load use a relay.

16. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Boss,
    Are you running an electric fuel pump or mechanical? Just pointing out the obvious, you probably know that already. Toggle switches are cheap, only a couple bucks at any parts store. If you're running a mechanical pump, and HEI, then another alternative is putting the switch in between the distributor and the ignition key. Hide the switch and you can turn the key all day and the thing won't start. Flip the switch and viola![​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

17. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

<font color=red>YES, I just saw one last night in the LMC Blazer catalog. I don't remember where or what it hooks to, but it was a switch that is in the BLazer/Jimmy catalog. But they probably sell something like it at one of your local parts stores. The only problem is that when you buy one from a local parts store, you have to remember that you are installing something that everyone else that has installed one will know how it works, especially if you install it in a recommended or popular place, shall I say. But, a switch between the starter or the fuel pump will work, but you have to install it where no one would think of. Most car theives are rookies looking for rush ride. unless you have a veeeery hot popular wanted vehicle, then you have to deal with the pro's and they know all about these kind of little gadgets. Just keep all that in mind.

Will work for parts, beer and sex.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/3.73's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com>http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com</A>

18. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

<font color=red>YES, I just saw one last night in the LMC Blazer catalog. I don't remember where or what it hooks to, but it was a switch that is in the BLazer/Jimmy catalog. But they probably sell something like it at one of your local parts stores. The only problem is that when you buy one from a local parts store, you have to remember that you are installing something that everyone else that has installed one will know how it works, especially if you install it in a recommended or popular place, shall I say. But, a switch between the starter or the fuel pump will work, but you have to install it where no one would think of. Most car theives are rookies looking for rush ride. unless you have a veeeery hot popular wanted vehicle, then you have to deal with the pro's and they know all about these kind of little gadgets. Just keep all that in mind.</font color=red>

Will work for parts, beer and sex.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/3.73's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com>http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com</A>

19. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

talldogg that is what i use plus my alarm has a starter kill

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

20. Boss

Wow, definately a blast from the past. Great info fellas.
    Well, let me fill yall in. What I did was, since my fuel pump was electrical, I spliced in a wire to the ignition wire and to a toggle switch I bought from RadioShack. I hid that, so whenever I'm parked for a while, I flip that and nothing works.
    Plus I bought myself a Grant "No Wheel, No Steal" not too long ago and got that on as well.
    Just to let yall know, I saw a commercial of this "Club" type device that goes on your brakes, not the steering wheel. Supposedly bullet proof. What it does, is it keeps the thief from depressing the brakes, when locked. Looks cool, but I bought the Grant Anti-theft device like a month before I saw that commercial, otherwise I would've gotten it.
    Boss
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

[​IMG]