Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cut out Dash, installing guages in new panel questions.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by juanblzer, Apr 6, 2002.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have cut out my dash and while wiring a new ignition key set up I would like to also do 5 guages:
    speedo
    temp
    oil pressure
    fuel level
    amps

How hard is it to wire a new autometer speedo? WHat is all involved? Where are the senders for these guages. I still have the odometer cluster attached to the stock speedo cable, can I use it for a new speedo? ANy and all help is greatly appreciated.
    Juan

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

The speedo will require a new cable.
    Water temp sender will screw into factory location on driver side head.
    Oil pressure will use factory location at the top, rear of the block beside the distributor.
    Fuel will use the stock sender if you order the correct "GM" gauge.
    I would use a Voltmeter...it's easier to install, but an Ampmeter will come with instructions.
    All the gauges have their own lite that will have to be connected to the factory "dimmer" wire on the headlight switch.

3. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Michael, as always you are the help I need. I owe you a beer next time I'm in your area. I meant volts guage. I goofed. What wire on the factory light switch is the "dimmer" wire? What temperature sender is on the thermostat hose neck on the intake? Will new speedos (autometer) come with a new cable that screws into the t-case? Do places like Loper's performance sell these items? Damn, you've been a major help and I appreciate it.
    Juan

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

What wire on the factory light switch is the "dimmer" wire? The wire from the switch is Dark Green, it goes to the fuse box. The wire to the panel lamps is Light Grey.

What temperature sender is on the thermostat hose neck on the intake? I believe the sender on the T-stat housing is emmisions related. You need to use the one in the driver side head.

Will new speedos (autometer) come with a new cable that screws into the t-case? No, you will have to have a speedo cable made at a Speedo shop. This is for a "mechanical" speedo. You can get an electricly driven speedo but they are much more expensive, but real easy to calibrate (for bigger tires). Visit http://www.summitracing.com

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

...and another thing...You really need to find a good shop manual with good wiring schematics. I have a Haynes
    "Chevrolet & GMC Pickups" that covers 2wd-4wd PU's, Blazers, Jimmys and Subs. '67-'85. It has very nice schematics. User "mj" also has some posted on the web that are good...and here they are! You're up to a "six-pack" by the way. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    http://community.webshots.com/album/27261776qkYQyBOIQW