Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cut Out Flare ?? And Other ??

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by wayne, Feb 10, 2001.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I just bought an 89 Jimmy which is all stock. Plan is to lift it and run 35's. I want to do this right the first time so to avoid later problems. I want to use some of the same things as on Steve's but the main ? is with the 5 inch rear lift and the 4 inch in front plus the extended shackels and extended shock mounts if I use cut out flares will that be enough for tire clearance when it flexes. I live in Pa and for inspection the tires are not suppose to be out past the body that's why I was wondering if cut outs would be enough without more cutting then they need. If you think it is not enough and should use more lift what would you suggest? I plan to do this in steps such as lift and tires for 10 bolts first then swap rears to 14ff and 44 or 60 if I can find one cheap enough, but in the end I want a 60 in front. I want to use the shackel flip and other parts from ORD so I figured you would be one of the best to ask. Thanks for your time!!!!!!!! Anyone with any input on what to do I would really appreciate it! Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: I just missed a deal on an 84 1 ton with a locked engine but had a 60 in front and 14 in rear with gov-lock and 4:11 gears Weatern tilt angel plow rebuilt T400 and I think a 205 T-case for $650 boy was I pis@#$.

Happy Trails
    Wayne

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You just missed a great deal on that 1 ton!!! Dammit!!! My 82 K30 has cut out flares on it. It was mainly to clear the 39 inch Mickeys I had on it, but have taken them off and replaced them with 35 inch BFG's. This truck only ran 6 inch lift. They stick out further than the 35's.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The reason I know what it had is it was my old work truck about 7 years ago. My dad still works there and by the time he found out I wanted it it was allready sold.

Happy Trails
    Wayne

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you're planning on doing all this in steps you should swap axles first. If you get the swanky tires and rims for your 10 bolts you'll have wasted your money on the rims at the very least. The 14 bolt FF, and Dana 60, and 3/4 ton Dana 44 all have an 8 lug pattern. If you know you're going to make this swap in the near future do it first, then when you can afford tires and rims you'll be buying ones that'll actually fit.[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I am hoping that I have enough money to do the rear swap at the same time as the lift but the Jimmy already has the alumnium wheels so all I need is a used set of tires to see if the suspention will work ok. Thanks alot!!!!!!!!!!! Also is there any drive shaft problems I need to know about and what you reccomend to correct them such as cv shafts, etc and what length. I know the yokes are different from a 10 to a 14 bolt so the length may vary also u-joints. Will stock shafts work on the 10 bolt for now if I don't flex it too much. I know this is alot of ?'s but I really appreciate all the help I can get!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Trails
    Wayne

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If you run a set of cutouts, you should be fine with the 4/5" lift. They'll leave you with pretty good space for them to move around.
    I think you'll be able to drive the truck around with the stock driveshafts, but you're right, you'll need to be careful with it till you know their limits.
    It sounds like you're on the right track for the buildup, it's good to know exactly what you want to end up with so you can make all the right decisions on stuff like wheels and tires and not have to buy stuff twice.
    Thanks

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Hay Stephen thanks alot!!!!!!!!!! I plan on ordering alot of parts from you so I greatly appreciate all the help!!!! With a wife in the brat pack of 3 I can't afford to do it over and over. This will be my daily driver for now but on weekends I want to do some serious trail runs. It is a nice rig now but i will not mind some "character marks" just don't want to rip it to pieces. All my years offroad have been in stock rigs so this will be my first real trail worthy ride. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Trails
    Wayne

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

One thing you might consider is the extra weight and stuff that goes along with the family, you may want to consider an old fashioned add a leaf in the rear to bring the spring rate up a little to handle the load better. Also, I was really happy with the Rancho 9000 shocks on mine when I carried variable loads, you might consider a set of them in the rear. Otherwise, you're on the right track to building a nice durable capable rig. Finding a "recipe" and following it is a good way to go.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>