Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cutoff saw opinions

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by Jonny-K5, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i've been doing more and more metalworking projects lately. and my only tools for cutting metal have been 4" angle grinder, sawzall, or a gas powered chopsaw. cutting angles is a real PITA by hand.i need a real cutoff saw. need to keep it under 200.

i'll probly buy one from home depot since money is kinda tight right now and i have a business credit card there.

the two i've been looking at are:

#1.Ridgid-Model ZRCM1450. cost about 180 new. features i like are the D handle, and tooless fence adjustment. what i dont like is im not sure how good the ridgid name is. it looks/feels like better quality than say a ryobi, but i dont know about the internals. also there is no HP rating on the motor.

#2 Milwakee 6176-20- cost around 170. features i like are a rated 3.2HP motor. advertised to cut thru 3&5/8ths bar stock, compared to ridgid's 2" rating. a brand name that i trust. 10bucks cheaper.

what i dont like is you need a 3/4" wrench to adjust the fence. has the standard pistolgrip handle.(not sure if thats good or bad since i've never used one, but seems like the D handle would be nicer.)

which one would you buy? should a look at another brand? what do you personally own?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Don't know about the rigid cutoff saw, but rigid is knowm to make some excellent tools. I use rigid pipe threading machines all the time at work, they are pretty much the name in pipe threading.

4. gauder

gauder Banned

Rigid is good stuff, plus Home Depot pretty much has an open door return policy. Hell when I worked there, they let a guy return car tires. They don't even sell tires. lol

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

good to know ridgid has some positive feedback. it seemed like it was a quality piece at the store. however usually brands are really good at one tool. dewalt for drills, portercable for routers etc. i think i might give the ridgid a try, since i'd rather pick it up from the depot.

6. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Last I heard Rigid was a house brand for Home Depot. Not sure how good their stuff is. I just purchased a Dewalt DW871 chop saw and it has been good so far. I'm a Dewalt person now and have not had a single Dewalt product fail on me yet (me crosses fingers).

7. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Rigid is not a house brand for Home Depot. Rigid are very well made, beefy tools.

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

come on over and try out my dewalt. it was either dewalt or craftsman. you only need a big allen to change the disk, but the allen stores in the saw.

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

im a big fan of dewalt, ive got there 7pc cordless combo kit. but according to this site THIS SITE. there cutoff saw isnt that good. i think im gonna go with THIS one. pretty good reviews, and in my budget

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

wow, lotsa bad reviews, i love mine. it works great. anyway good luck. You going to make it to the BBQ? the post is in the lounge and the pacific forum