Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cuts in pavement at intersections

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 77Jimmy, Aug 25, 2003.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

A few days ago, I stop at one of the intersections w/ a light near my home. I notice that now there are little cuts in the pavement. Now I've seen these before at other intersections and have figured out that somehow when someone drives over them, the light will change. When they cut the pavement, what are they doing? Laying some sort of pressure sensitive cable or something in the groove??? Always wondered how this works. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

im willing to bet that you're seeing what we call "drunk bumps", how far before the intersection are they?

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

It is a magnetic sensor (hall effect I believ

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

It is a magnetic sensor (hall effect I believe) to detect when a vehicle is at the intersection. Many people with lifted toyota's, jeeps, ect and many motorcycles have problems tripping these and getting the turn arrow or green lights because there is not enough metal close enough to the sensor.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yep, they are magnetic fields that sense a car is waiting.

Here's a little tip for you...often times you'll find two of those "boxes" in the left-hand turn lane of an intersection. If you're the first (and only) vehicle there, stop right over the first of the two boxes (furthest from the intesection) and you'll get a green arrow instead of the traffic across from you getting a green light. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Nope.............WRONG!!!! These are scanners planted by the CIA. When you drive over them, they forward your name, address, SSN, pant size, boxers? or briefs? and any firearms you own. True Story.................... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

MoabDad I didn't know you drank! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks to all for the info! I learn something new everyday! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

a little late to this post but i install them the wire is called loop and like a #14 wire and normaly wraps in a cir 3 times and goes back to j box on the side walk you can allso find in on a highway to count cars they are things called pizzo sensers that can way your truck as you drive over it is the size of a shoebox cool hua /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

and
    [ QUOTE ]
    These are scanners planted by the CIA. When you drive over them, they forward your name, address, SSN, pant size, boxers? or briefs? and any firearms you own. True Story....................

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Nope.............WRONG!!!! These are scanners planted by the CIA. When you drive over them, they forward your name, address, SSN, pant size, boxers? or briefs? and any firearms you own. True Story.................... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] FINALLY SOMOENE ELSE KNOWS THE TRUTH!! too bad they will kill us promptly....

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] FINALLY SOMOENE ELSE KNOWS THE TRUTH!! too bad they will kill us promptly....

[/ QUOTE ]
    ::mutters::aluminum foil hats..::endofmuttering::