Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cuts out on warm-up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hpfire7227, Sep 16, 2000.

1. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

This is kind of like Steve88's problem, only it occurs long before I even attempt to move the truck in the morning. Yes, it only seems to occur on chilly mornings and when I come out of work at 2am. It'll start right up, run normal for about 1.5 seconds, then bog down from the high idle to almost nothing (dead) then spike back up to a high idle for a split second, then die back down to almost dead again....and the cycle goes on for about four times coming close to shutting off. Now this is with no driver input, mind you. I could be standing 20 feet away and it will still do it. However it never totally dies out to where I have to cramk it over again....yet. I'm afraid on one of those 15 degree below zero central NY mornings that it won't make it, not to mention it is just really annoying. Also, it seems as though overall performance is sluggish to accompany this. Rule out needing a tune up because I just did one about 5 months ago, including a new fuel filter. It's probably a technical computer problem, huh?

10 BOLTS O' FUN

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Is the problem on your 85 or 89? Is the problem vehicle carberated, TBI, or fuel injected? It could have a vacuum leak? If the vehicle is carberated, is the choke engaging and staying engaged? We need more details</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. hpfire7227

89, TBI, new TPS last fall.

10 BOLTS O' FUN

4. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Idle control valve is bad.

5. hpfire7227

What's involved in changing the idle control valve? Is that like the TPS where they say it has to be calibrated, or can you just swap it in? Thanks.

10 BOLTS O' FUN

6. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

8. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

scan the computer for codes

9. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

the Idle control should adjust itself all it does it alow the motor to warm up then closes to a set location .on one of my trucks the port clogged completely from the build up from the pcv valve hose .remove the IAC valve and spray cleaner into the port if you need to reset the idle you just ,1.turn off ignition 2.unplug IACvalve 3.jump the test plugs(top right two jump together)the under dash plug in 4.use an awl to remove small plug right hand side of throttle body it has a #15 torx head below it 5.start motor and adjust torx head to idle setting 6. turn off motor and put the plug back in and remove jumper