Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cuttin Tires....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Mar 15, 2004.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Since I'm in highschool and have no money but still love my blazer and offroading, me and a friend were thinking of cool ways to add traction since open diffs and stock tires suck poo! We figure that if we got a tire groover and just cut off every other tread block that it could work alot better. What is a better way of removing individual lugs if any? Anyone have any opposing arguments to this? I also want to find a posi for the rear diff and maybe weld up the front so its locked whenever I'm in 4wd. Any comments? I know its pretty ghetto but the cash flow is very minimal here! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

get a job, or a better one, save up and buy some decent tires..then practice your grooving and cutting on your old tires... welding a front 10 bolt isnt the greatest idea..

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I know welding a front 10 bolt isn't a great idea but I can't afford a 60 and if it'd be running stock size tires? So, you're saying cutting those tires would be a horrible idea? I still want to know what the process is just out of curiosity's sake.

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Buy some retread MTs or look for used sets, they go cheap in smaller sizes

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

You see the problem is, I like in hick town, Canada so there isn't much for places selling anything. I have no where to look and shipping on tires from the U.S to Canada is ridiculous. Just looking for a way to save some money.

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

No one knows how to cut tires these days?

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

buy the tire groover(how much are those?) and experiment. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

There is a couple groovers on ebay for pretty cheap I think I might get one. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

how much are they, i've seen some cool looking tires cut in mags. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

there was one that was used and it was only at $15 when I last checked? I think some of the other ones (which were the same just newer) were like $50.

11. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

get the tire groover and practice. the blades on the "ideal" style tire iron's are u-shaped so you may want to flatten it out with some pliers so when you cut out the lugs you don't leave little ridges between your cuts. as for lockers, if you need cheap get an insertable locker. welding your diff will only cost you more money with broken parts which could possibly leave you stranded costing you even more money if you have to get towed out /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif
    What I mean to say was... get the groover, flatten the blade so your cuts are cleaner, don't weld your diff.s, look for a used locker or an insertable one if you need more traction. I'd start with bigger tires and a lift before I spend money on a locker though /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

lift? Pshhh /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Just cut the fenders! When you have [darn] sheetmetal like mine, its ok.

13. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

BTW what do you mean by insertable locker? Selectable?

14. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

not a selectable one, it inserta into your factory diff. replacing the spider gears. here's an article about lockers that you might find helpfull. fourwheeler locker article

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Save some money, put down the groover, buy some tires that are already agressive, and leave the front open... That would be the cheapest route in the the long run.

16. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I would have to say dont grove your tires, mainly because there STOCK and a street tire still wont do go even if its groved because im guessing you only probably have about 1/2 of tread, and if you dont know what your doing with that grover you will probably end up having to buy new tires /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Drive to the closest town with a decent 4x4 stop and ask them if they have any old tires, I have yet to go to a 4wd shop that had absoulty nothing for used tires. Some shops wont SELL them to you but actually give them to you if you talk to them and seem to be pretty cool with them Just dont expect to walk out with brand new boggers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif