Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cutting and rewelding spring perches to correct pinion angle....Rene?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zeus33rd, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I have a few questions about this....Rene? Maybe you'd could give me some input on this....Since my truck is in the garage for the 465 swap anyways, I figured I get some other stuff out of the way. I would like to cut off the spring perches and reweld some new ones on to correct the pinion angle. I'm curious as to the best method to do this. This is how I'm thinking...Cut off the old stuff and grind everything smooth of course. Place the new perches on the tube, and raise it up till it meets the locating pin on the springs. Put alittle tension on the leaf springs so everything holds itself together and hold's the new perches to the tube. Then get an angle finder and place it on the yoke and raise or lower the front of the housing/pinion untill it reaches the proper angle, then tack the perches to the tube in the new position....Is this the "proper" way to do this? I don't see why it wouldn't work, just want to hear from someone who might have done it before.. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Sounds exactly how my buddy and I did his /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You basically got it close, the only difference I would suggest is once you have the setup like you want it before welding it check the angles or tack one side to hold it, take the axle out weld one on and then with the axle sitting level replicate the same angle on the other side.
    If you count on the springs to gie you the same angle on both sides you will notice no 2 springs act exactly the same. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

sounds feasible to me, just make sure when you are adjusting your pinion angle that you are rotating the perches, not flexing the springs.

5. Zeus33rd

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If you count on the springs to gie you the same angle on both sides you will notice no 2 springs act exactly the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point dude...Thats exactly why I posted this question. So I'd hear stuff like that. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    just make sure when you are adjusting your pinion angle that you are rotating the perches, not flexing the springs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another good point. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

I would wait to weld the perches on until after you have finished the tranny swap, if it not done already. The extra weight, any length difference might change the angle you need. If the tranny swap is done, then carry on. Good luck.

7. Zeus33rd

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thanks dude...Another good point. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Make sure you have the truck sitting on the tires with total pressure on the axle. Also something you might consider is tacking the mounts on and taking it for a spin to make sure it is right. Take my truck for example (BTW Rene has his set up the same) my pinion is pointed right up at the t case like you would for a CV shaft but I don't have a CV shaft and that was the only way to get the vibes out. I welded my perches on before I ever put the axle under the truck and had it calculated pretty good for where it should have been according to the angle gage but it vibrated horribly. So after beating my head against a wall Rene said how his was set up so I gave it a shot and it worked great.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My pinion is pointed nearly at the T-case. It's prolly 2-3 degrees down from being directly pointed at it. According to everything i've read it is totally wrong and should vibrate like a bed in a cheap motel...but it doesn't.

I ground my diff housing smooth and using a sharpie marker I marked where the perches should be laterally so I knew they were close to centered and the right distance apart. I jacked the diff up to the springs and put my U-bolts on finger tight. Then I mounted the tires and let all the weight down. I used a bottle jack to rotate the pinion up to where I wanted it

I then let down the bottle jack to see if it would stay there or if there was some binding or whatever from the springs. It stayed where I moved it so I triple checked all the dimensions and fine tuned everything just a bit and then put 4 small tacks on each perch.

The last thing I did was to get jackstands under the diff and remove the tires and then I welded it up.

Rene

10. Zeus33rd

Thanks Rene. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thats exactly the answer I was lookin for. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif