Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cutting Brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan Melton, May 6, 2001.

1. Ryan Melton

Ryan Melton Registered Member

Any one here running cutting brakes in their rig? The Currie's "Fire Ant" Jeep is running them along with other rockcrawlers. I plan on running them in my truck with an ARB in the rear and wanted everyone's opinion / experiences with them. Also does anyone know what brand most of the rockcrawlers use? I think some are manufactured by NEAL, but I'm not familar with this company. Do they just plumb into dual rear lines? Thanks for the help.

Ryan

2. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

What are cutting brakes?? (apart from what you do to someone when your pissed off at 'em)

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

3. Ryan Melton

Ryan Melton Registered Member

You can lock up one of you rear wheels, put your T-Case in front wheel drive and it allows you to pivot off of the locked wheel. The other rear wheel will just roll and the front will spin the veh around. Best done on loose ground with big axles.

4. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Sweet, kinda like a skidsteer. Never thought of doin it with a truck. Sure you could adapt some line locks....

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

5. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Like Ryan said the key too doing this is being able too front wheel drive the transfer case.Too let the front tires pull around one of the locked up whels in back.And you could use cutting brakes from any of the sand buggy places.they have two levers that you plumb in too each side.

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

How about useing some kind of independent "E-brake" cables/handles?

My best example of useing a cutter brake was; I backed the rear bumper into the mountain, cranked the front tires, and gave it some throtle in reverse with the R.R. bumper wedged up against the mountain, that swung my front end around and I was able to go back the way I came. Not realy a cutter brake but it worked and I could see a definite advantage to have some kind of independent rear brakeing ability.

Twiztid

7. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

You could set up seperate hand levers for each of your ememergency brakes. Should do what you want.

Just keepin it Canadian[​IMG]

8. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

that is what i have planned, but have been to busy on other more important stuff...i have an old 14 bolt with the e-brake cables that are each the same length, my plan is to take 2 handles off a small car and hook one up to each rear drum. as far as mounting them, i think there is enough room to the left of my t-case handle, and since i have a body lift, under neath clearance isnt an issue......still on the drawing boards.....

AIRBORNE!!