Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cutting Brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Anybody using this type of setup for their Cutting Brakes?

http://www22.inetba.com/larrysoffroad/filecabinet/452SB.GIF

I think I might go this route as opposed to the two electric line locks I have. Give me some input. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Those look like the same setup that Stephen is running on the ORD K5. He could probably tell you more about them. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

out of curiosity, if you were running disks, and had the caddy calipers, couldn't you do two e-brake style setups?

I like that one, but I'm hell with a tubing cutter and flaring tool, I'm just thankful that I got my brakes to work part of the time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

how much is that thing

5. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I don't have a whole lot of experience in this department, but I know guys who have run that setup in their pullin trucks and I'd say that it would work quite a bit better than the line lock route, as well as eliminate a bit of exposed electricals. They should also allow for more proportional and adjustable braking as opposed to a switch.

6. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

That is a Good idea /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, where are you going to put these arms? 2 for brake, 2 for twin stick 205, 1 for 203, 1 for tranny /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. you going to pull the other front set to put all these in?? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

My old boss used to have a mountain buggy built on a VW chassis that ran that exact setup...worked great! Oh, and yes, it was a mountain buggy...not a dune buggy. We ran the Shoestring Trail in it and climbed the Ledge at Funny Rocks in it! Those brakes made it great going thru the tight twisty trail.

8. Nike

Nike Registered Member

Looks like a real neat setup Neal. I wonder however if cutting brakes are going to work with a Detroit Locker or another similar type. Nike

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Nike,

I stopped by and looked at the tub swap. I really was sick when I saw how nice the tub I sold was! That was as rust free as Ive ever seen! Oh well, I would have made everyone freak out when I hacked up the bedsides to clear "Fo-Tee inch tires".

About the Detroit in the rear. I can use cutting brakes with my Detroit by having the twin sticked NP205. I can shift the front into either low or high, and shift the rear into neutral, then grab the cutting brake and spin right around. Layne did this several times on the trail's in Hot Springs. I would have tried it but I had the worlds best wheeler in my passenger seat and I was a bit intimidated. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif