Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cutting dash, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 85Blazernga, Mar 20, 2001.

1. 85Blazernga

85Blazernga Registered Member

I have a 85 K5 Blazer.....I would like to take the current POS radio out and put in an indash CD player. I took the dash apart and the metal is contoured where I would need to cut. This would cause the mounting plate to not sit flush in its hole. Has anyone done this and how did you handle cutting the dash? Thanks for your help.....

GSB
    Forever #3!!

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I used a jig saw and moved reeeeaaallll slllooowwww! It wound up fitting just fine. Hope this helps!

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I used a Dremel tool with a fiber-reinforced cutting wheel. The non-fiber wheels are a waste of time and money, and they tend to try and poke holes in you WHEN they break and fly apart! With that said, mark the line where you need to cut clearly, drill a 1/8" hole in each of the corners of the new opening, then proceed to cut slowly. Don't try to cut straight through, make the cuts in a few passes. Easier on you and the tool; less chance of fragmenting the cutoff wheel too.

Or if you're in a masochistic mood, you could attempt to use a hacksaw...[​IMG]

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

The way we always did it at the shop I used to work at was to take the dash off and trace the shape of the radios can/sleeve on it. Cut that out and make sure the can fits. Then re-install the dash in the truck and get a scratch awl and mark how much to cut out of the metal of the dash. Take the plastic dash off again and cut the metal. Just make 2 horizontal slits on each side and bend the pieces back out of the way...it won't matter since the can will be anchored to the plastic part of the dash. And also, unless you are God, you are never going to cut an exactly perfect rectangle in the plastic so we used a 1/4 inch ABS plastic trim ring in between the dash and the can to kind of make it look nicer and reinforce it a little bit. Put a backstrap on the back and it will be fine.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

When I installed my Alpine I did exactly like jarheadk5 did, Dremel tool with a fiber-reinforced cutting wheel. He's right, the non-fiber wheels are a complete waste of time. Go slow, make multiple passes and definitely wear safety glasses.

<font color=blue> Duct tape the small stuff down. </font color=blue>
    Scot in KC, MO.
    Black 87 Chevy K5

6. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

<font color=green> I done what muddin4fun did, the jigsaw worked great, just take your time and go slow.

<font color=green> 82 K5 - 350, 4" lift, 33's 3.08's
    I love cowboy hats
    [​IMG]

7. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Jigsaw worked for me too. And I've got the metal sleeve mounted in the dash plastic rather than up against the metal. Once I get the time this summer I'll be adding some ABS to make it look better and a back strap to stabalize it. But so far it hasn't skipped on me and its got much better reception than the stock AM/FM/Cass. Delco had :-) Course I have kinda cut back on listening to CD's...weird how a person can go from angry ass stuff like slipknot to country in just under a year eh? ;-)

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Slipknot to country in a year? You don't have to switch from one to another. lol Right now in my garage I have a Johnny Cash CD sitting on top of a Pantera CD. Now thats bad.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

9. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Damn....that is bad. A buddy of mine went to Hip-Hop to going to see the Lilath (sp?) Fair. Anyway's I used a jig-saw and a file.

You can check out my rig right here <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda</A>

10. 400K10

400K10 Registered Member

the dremel tool is the way to go. i did it in my 84 k10 and it looks factory. i also bought a mounting plate from crutchfield for 10.00, it matches the dash perfect, makes for a cleaner install and gives you a template for cutting. if you need a pick, email me. p.s., if you use the dremel, use the flex shaft!!!

11. jamiemac

jamiemac 1/2 ton status

I work at a stereo shop. We use a kit, I can send you one. I used it in mine. It works really good. You cut the hole as they all said but it has a metal face piece to use on the front side of the plastic. Send me about 13 bucks and I'll send you one. shipping included. Send me a private for shop info.

12. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I used the dremel on mine - I made the mistake of using the standard cutoff wheel(s) - 37 of them to be precise, and I still have part of one embedded in the headliner.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.coloradok5.com>http://pugsley.coloradok5.com</A>