Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cutting ears off a 10b

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i want to cut the ears off the bottom of my 10 bolts and smooth the lip, is that going to hurt the strength of the case? it seems like those ears dont do anything.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

go ahead and remove them, I'd say if your getting in situations where you're going to bust the housing you will snap an axle shaft or something at the sametime. As for grinding for clearance I don't know about that. 10 bolts have a lot of clearance compared to our 14 bolts. My 14 has been shaved to a great length(its a 13 bolt yet) and i'm sure a 10 bolt still has better ground clearance.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

besides the ears, im only grinding maybe 1/4 inch off, so there is a 1/4 inch left all the way around the cover. every 1/4 inch counts tho right? mainly i want to smooth the transition when i drag it over rocks and thru mud.

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

then you can convince people you have a D44

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I definetally agree with the every 1/4" helps thing
    [​IMG]
    Thats my 14 bolt. You can't really tell but I shaved more than just the lip, I transitioned and cleaned up that support down the pinion and lots of other things that stuck up. Pretty much if anything stuck off the diff I hit it with the grinder.

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

then you can convince people you have a D44

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, exactly. at least you wont be able to tell from a glance going down the freeway.

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, I have both a front Dana 44 and one of those elusive rear-disc Dana 44s.

EDIT:
    I forgot, not everyone knows I have earless 10 bolts and rear disc brakes that look factory. GMCLegacy told me that I could probably convince people that I had an elusive rear Dana 44 with disc brakes. I managed to do so at the Mounds this past Thanksgiving.

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I did this about a year ago. I never finished taking pictures because I kept grinding even after I painted my axles. I cut off the ears with a hacksaw and then blended the rest with a 1/2" burr and a die grinder. I didn't actually remove the whole lip, I just blended and radiused it so it was smooth.

Keep in mind, you'll have to cut the lip off the rear differential cover because if you don't it'll hang below the case and get peeled off.

Here is the rear one:
    [​IMG]

Here is the front one, I never ground any more off this one:
    [​IMG]

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

nice pics, thats exactly what i did today, sawzall and 4" angle grinder. i hammered the covers lip flat and ground it down so its blended in. maybe ill tell people its a hybrid 9" rear end with a faux 10b cover for that "sleeper" look /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif