Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cutting fenders

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, Mar 14, 2001.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Hey...I want to cut my fenders. What gauge is the metal? Reason being I don't have a sawzall but I found something that may work if the metal is not too thick to be cut by it...thanks in advanced...

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

2. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

I think it is 20 gauge but i do know that it is double walled an inner and outer shell. I was thinking about a jig saw i would think you could get a good, slow, and smooth cut.
    Hope this helps [​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM>http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM</A>

3. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

Not sure on the gauge but I did a good job using an air-powered cut off wheel.
    David

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Personally, I think the cut-off wheel is the best way to go for a nice clean job if you don't have access to a plasma cutter. Just takes some time. I don't think a jig saw is going to work well but I never tried it. Jigs don't work well if you can't keep it firm and flat on the material. Anyway, if you just want to get it done quick, borrow or rent a heavy reciprocating saw (sawzall) and a couple of blades. Last trim I did I used both the cut-off wheel on a hand grinder and the reciprocating saw...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

Dito on what BadDog said. I just about finished mine ( except my sawzall died with one fender left[​IMG]) and needed a cutoff wheel, grinder, and swazall to do it right. You might be able to do a hck job with just a swazall.

[​IMG]<font color=red> Elkboy</font color=red> [​IMG]