Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUTTING OFF SPRING PADS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MJB774X, Feb 10, 2003.

1. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

Today I started to cut off the spring pads on my new 14bff, because the rearend was out of a 72 or down truck. Man what a pain in the a$$, thoughs things are solid cast, it wasn't so bad after I found how to do it with so the slag will fall off instead of building up. My question is that after I finished the one side someone told me to cool everything off periodiclly so the axle tube doesn't warp, I want to know if this is going to be an issue, cooling it means it will take longer to start cutting again, will getting it hot really warp the tubes? the heat of burning off the pads is really only transfering to the tube through the welds /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I just did my rear D60 and didn't wait between cutting off the old ones and I didn't seam to have any issues with it. Just cut one off ground it smooth whent to the other side cut it off ground it smooth, lined up the rear with new perchaes and welded them on! Worked like a champ!!