Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cutting off tail pipes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chris672, Mar 23, 2002.

1. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

My Jimmy as a flowmaster with dual output and the tail pipes go to the back of the truck and out the sides. One pipe comes out about 8 inchs lower than the other. Can I just cut off the tail pipes after the muffler? Should I put on some turn downs?
    thanks

2. 73BlazerT

73BlazerT Registered Member

Not sure what the laws are there but here in Missouri the exhaust HAS to exit the vehicle.

3. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

Did the same thing but didn't want to spend the extra money. Due to the fact looking ahead at a Big Block this year. When the Big Block goes in I will definitely put in a completed exhaust system. The fumes are killer, especially with the little one in the back seat..

Eat More Mud!!!

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you cut the pipes off at the mufflers you will get a lot of exahust fumes in the cab. Fumes get sucked in thru the tailgate as you drive down the road. Its bad.
    Running the exahust out the side is the only way to go oin a K5

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

We have turn downs just before the rear end on the '81 and '89 and never sucked fumes before. Sure did though before the new setup was put on the '81. Cough Cough, it wasn't fun. I havent noticed anything with the turndowns though.

6. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

Chris you can cut your tail pipes and put the turn downs on it will look and sound good. It's good to see someone else from lodi on here maybe one we can meet some time. Later <font color=red> 1 FN HI K5 <font color=red>
    <font color=blue> Clicky below to see picks <font color=blue>