Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cutting out OEM gauges, replace with AM

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HarryL, Jun 7, 2001.

1. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Howdy.

Has anyone removed the OEM gauges from the stock bezel and replaced them with Aftermarket gauges?

I have 2 or 3 spare instrument panels, and have taken one apart to get an idea of what is involved. before I start cutting, I'd like your experiences. Tools, gauge size, manufacturer, dimensions, etc.

Steve Chin: didn't you stick a speedo from a LM camaro in yours? How did you go about installing it?

Thanks

Harry

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I have a late model Camaro tachometer in my gauge cluster. It involved a lot of cutting, bending, drilling, and soldering to make it work. It mounts like the OEM gauges to the back panel of the gauge cluster. A set of aftermarket gauges would mount differently. I was going to change out the mechanical oil pressure gauge for an electric one, but I've put that on the back burner. It's going to require cutting the gauge out of its little capsule snd fabricating brackets to mount it to the OEM back panel so that I get a more-or-less OEM look to the install. I'm also planning that kind of install with a mixture gauge (also on the back burner).

3. 72lowblazer

72lowblazer Registered Member

here is a link that has some picts for you. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://67-72chevytrucks.com/board/ubbhtml/Forum1/HTML/007138.html>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/board/ubbhtml/Forum1/HTML/007138.html</A>

72 k5 Blazer 307/3pd on tree, posi rear (one of my projects
    69 Chevy Pickup currently being put together

4. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

Whatever you do, DON'T wash that dusty lens with any kind of harsh soap. I wiped out the lettering on a junkyard test dash trying that.

5. kilomanjaro

kilomanjaro 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about putting aftermarket guages in my truck, but after seeing alot of peoples attempts i am just going to spring for the stock look. More power to you if you can make it look original, but most of the ones i have seen do not. just another question kind of off topic, on a factory tach, where does the factory wiring harness for it hook up? Coil? sorry just had to ask. thanks

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

All factory tachs have three wiring connections: Negative side of the coil, ignition switched 12V, and ground (some ground through the instrument cluster).