Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cutting out

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mostwanted, Oct 16, 2006.

1. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

As I was driving down to my folks' house yesterday, my motor started cutting out. I believe that it is an ignition problem. It almost sounds like a backfire popping sound under acceleration. When I pulled over to inspect my plug wires and cap, I didn't see anything that stood out as being the culprit. I was thinking of replaceing the D-cap and coil. Any ideas?

2. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Mine does this intermitantly. once it is warm, it cuts out while gas pedal is pressed, but if i let off and coast it doesnt do it...a couple minutes later it does it again.

Im going to replace the ignition module and see what happens. Im very dumbfounded on what to do.

3. Habez

Habez Registered Member

mine did something much like it. It cut out under high acceleration, then it started happening more often. The guys at the parts stores said it must have been my plugs or ignition. It ended up being my fuel pump.

4. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I have had some troubles with my fuel pump in the past but it acted a little diffrently. It sounded like vrrrrrrrrrrrrrPOPvrrrrrrrrrrrrrPOPvrrrrrrrrrrr! If that makes any sense. When it was the fuel pump it would studder like it was going to run out of gas and shut off. I hate to say it but it sounds like detonation. I am going to go pull some spark plugs.

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

When this happened to me,it was a cracked valve :(
    But it could be a host of things (ign, fuel pump, timing,..etc). Cracked valve can be easily found with a compression check.

6. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

prolly plugs and wires.