Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cutting the back off a burban? not grafting on a K5 cap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Dec 13, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ok there is an 89 Burban just down the road from me I think I will be getting for my Daily Driver/ Tow vehicle. My dad doesn't liek it cause he wants a pickup so he can use it for his construction business(his f250 has a utility cap). He came up with the idea of cutting the back roof off the Burban and making it essentially into a crew cab. Anyone ever done this or seen it done? It would have to have a half cab built in the back. I think the back of a pickup could be grafted on, he was suggesting using the tailgate and all so it would still have the power rear window but I don't like that or see it as feasible.

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I saw it somewhere once before but don't recall where.
    They didn't have the power window but that would be cool, and if it was done right would make the body a lot more rigid.

Sounds like a sweet project. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

do you have your third row seat in? I want to know how big a "bed" this would leave me with.

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Yeah, let me measure it out tomorrow.

It's dark and cold and I'm scared of the dark.

Not really, just don't feel like moving all the crap in the truck in the cold. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I'll measure right up to the drop in the floor so you can get a general idea, it'll most likely be shorter by a coupl of inches for seat back clearance.

5. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

i did the k5 top and that was hard enough. I cant imagine trying to get a back window behind the seats to work. If you had a window there you would end up with about a 4' bed section IIRC.

6. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

Hey if you go to the link i have below there is a picture of my 79 suburban i cut the roof off from behind the front doors, and it was pretty sweet. got lots of looks and nobody new what the hell it was. http://www.bc4x4.com/album/albumphoto.cfm?id=181

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

why not get one of those "sport tops" things that were advertised here a while ago, they're made for k5s..but it couldnt take much more to make it work on a burb..

8. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I got this idea, its called a SUBURBALANCH. You cut the rear off behind the pass doors, then you weld on the back section of a pickup cab, and you cut down a long box and blend into the rear of the pickup cab. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

9. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

That would be sweet. How ever a few problems arize.
    1. The rear wheel openings dont quite line up if you place the rear bed section at the end of the frame rails. The wheel wells end up being about 4" further back then stock.
    2. The front portion of the truck box ends up landing on a sloped portion of the frame so some sort of braket needs to be made to support the bed.
    3. The gas filler neck is a PITA. Mine is hanging in the wheel opening because there was no where else to go with it.
    4. Roof section grafting is also a PITA. A truck has a flat roof while the burb has a ribbed one like the bottom of a truck box. I cobbled mine together.

As long as you have the time and tools all of it can be done and it would look sweet!