Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cutting the top off a Blazer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Poohbair, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Has anyone cut the top off of a 76+ Blazer to make it a full convert? It would probably never get a hardtop put on it, just be topless all the time? Anyone done this? I am thinking about picking up a 76 that has been rolled.

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

PM Lara (muddin4fun) she recently did hers this way and it looks really great... also hers can have a top put back onto it when she wants too.

3. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

hey i just bought a 77 that has been converted to full convertable....just cut the top off...and the top half of the window frame...get a top window frame from a full convertable weld it on put the shield back in and your set /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...ohh ya and i have the parts you need for that too

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

my "73" is actually a 87 tub that was converted. The only problem I had was the registration. According to law, a 76 and newer truck is "supposed" to have shoulder restraint seat belts. a 73-75 doesn't have them. by getting a 73-75 vin tag, that problem is solved.

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Hmmmmmm, I may look at this 76 a little closer...

6. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Hey POOHBAIR, just leave it alone. You just love any oppertunity to cut something off your k5. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif You could practice cutting on my old body before we do yours.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you cut the top off you will need to do something to make up for the loss of a major structural member. GM added a subfloor below the tub, and a roll bar. if you dont do at least this much you will have issuses. A cage would be better.

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

...well, there would be one excuse to add a full cage...!