Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cutting thornbirds?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jan 19, 2006.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i know mostly everyone hates thornbirds, but my friend has some on a truck he bought, if you cut an inch out of the long knob on top of the tire in the, do u think it will make a difference? would it make it into a better tire?

2. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

I would say find someone who will trade or sell em and buy what you want. Cutting up any tire will compromise it.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The way I would cut a Thornturd is start about half way up the sidewall and press really hard with the sharp end of a knife.:D .

J/K I have no real experience with the tires or with grooving. From what I hear the rubber compound of Thornbirds is wears really fast, cutting wont do anything for that. It may help with the fact that they do not clean themselves and act pretty much like an A/T when in the mud.

Just my .02

Ira

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

What is he looking for in terms of performance? If he just wants them to clean better I'd just mark off every other lug and cut it out. It'd howl like a bogger on the street though. If he wants on-road performance, just leave 'em be or sipe them.

5. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

he wants offroad performance, he doesnt care about road noise, he just trying to make a horrible tire design, almost good.

6. Camorokkrwlr

Camorokkrwlr Registered Member

thornturds

ive ran thornbird on just about any terrain cut and un cut they suck in rocks and suck in snow and suck on street but their awesome in mud and sand thats about it and they look cool on a clean shiny street queen

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

so no matter how you slice it, dice it, curly q cut it, julieanne it, whatever...

a turd is still just poop.:D

8. Camorokkrwlr

pretty much

pretty much. . . if your runnin mud or sand they are great but anything else they lick my ________________________:D

9. Camorokkrwlr

like mentioned abopve just stab the sidewall real deep till you hear a nice consistent whooshy sound and call them good =)