Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cutting threads further down a ubolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TravisO, Oct 18, 2006.

1. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

Is there any good reason not to do this? I have a 14 bolt from a one ton that I am putting under my 91 K5. The ubolts I grabbed from the junkyard seemed like a good thing to grab at the same time. The spring pack must have been much thicker than the 4 leaves I am using without an overload. I was gonna buy new ubolts but thought I could at least try running these stock ones with threads cut further down. Any objections?
    Travis

BTW, there are already rolled threads on there. Hint, hint.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Don't do it you're just wasting a good u-bolt, I just learned this lesson recently.

I got a good deal on a set of new u-bolts recently that were cheaper because they had cut threads - I stripped them out using only a short handled 1/2" ratchet. :eek: Did I mention they were 3/4" dia u-bolts? :eek: :eek: I learned a good one, threw the rest away and bought rolled thread u-bolts.

Long story short... I'd buy / find the right length u-bolts.

3. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

With rolled threaded u-bolt, you will find the diameter of the shaft of the bolt to be smaller than actuall size of the threads. This is because when you roll threads you displace (sqeeze) the material in to the shape of the thread.

So, if you try to cut threads on that same shaft the O.D. of the threads will be to small. And you will have a Very weak u-bolt.

In other words DON'T DO IT:D

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

dont use used ubolts. they'll stretch and loosen up, not to mention with the stress that has been on them for god knows how many years, they may just snap. they're too cheap not to replace them.

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The place I use charges $10 a bolt with nuts and washers. thats way to cheap to reuse an old bolt. Plus I don't even think about fighting to get the old ones off. I just cut them everytime if they even think about being difficult.

6. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

Ordered the 14 bolt ubolt flip from ORD. Had them dig up a special length
    for my application. $78 shipped to Oregon. I guess I can live with spending that much if I don't have to worry about bashing my nuts on the rocks. Hey, sounds like I made a new sig line for myself.
    Travis

7. k30bb468

k30bb468 1/2 ton status Premium Member