Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cutting tires for deeper tread

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Apr 22, 2003.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Is it possible to regroove a tire to get them to last longer and have deeper tread. Some tires I'm looking at getting (should have by the time tomorrow)have only about 40% tread and are still meaty as hell on the outside lugs, just hoping I can cut the "valleys" out to get them to do what I want,LOL

-Jeremy

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

just remove enough material til your PSI drops to where you want it.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

ROFLMFAO!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'd figured your reply would be :

" Like you'd ever get around to buying them let alone grooving them "

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i did that on my swampers, and last weekend i blew one, im not sure if it was due to cutting too deep or not, but i do know they lasted one wheelin trip with no probs, i would make sure not to go deeper then the wear bars, i think i went a little bit deeper then the wear bars...

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Most tires don't have much rubber between the bottom of the tread grooves and the belts. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif There are some semi-truck tires that are made to be regroovable, but I don't know of any others that have this feature. So you can't make the tread on most tires much deeper before the cords start showing through. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

be safe, get some real tires 55. we dont need any ck5'ers getting killed because of Explorer-like blowouts at freeway speed. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j