Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cutting torch safety

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Feb 18, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

ok guys...

I got a torch here with new gauges & a new hose. well its been since high school that I have touched a torch, and I'm wondering if everybody can give me a reminder on torch safety?

(as in pounds to adjust the gauges to etc.)

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

2. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Basic common sense works best...
    1. Covered shoes, leather if possible. Remember when cutting, the slag will more than likely be hitting your feet
    2. Safety glasses and at least a #4 cutting gogles #5 better
    3. Could not hurt to have a cotton hat on...got a piece of metal on the top of the head, believe me you don't even want to go there.
    4. Make sure the pressure is set up right
    Oxy @20
    Acetylene @15..correct me if I wrong here guys
    5. Always shut off Ace before Oxy
    6. Make sure the lines are not under the work you are cutting
    7. Remove all oil/petroleum products within like 30 feet, or anything flamable for that matter.
    8. Make sure the nossles are cleaned on a regular basis.
    9. Have fun

Cutting is a blast. Would not want to do it as a job 8X5, but in small doses its fun

Hope this will get you kickstarted
    Chris

"What ever happened to my Rock N Roll?"

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

For cutting, put the Acety around ~5 to 10 or so and the oxy around ~20 to 25 or so.

stoner pretty much said the rest as far as saftey...don't forget welding gloves, will protect your hands from the heat.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

4. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, how could I forget the gloves!
    And how about a long sleave shirt
    Also, leave the shorts in the closet.

Chris

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I was going to say this when I mentioned the gloves, but totally forgot, but anyhow, I usually weld with 1 glove on (the left hand one on) (I'm right handed). I usually get away with it with no probs, except one time when a piece of hot slag got inbetween my hand and the gun....Ouch....
    Anyhow, When using the torch, I sometimes forget to put the other glove on b/c I'm so use to not putting it on, and you'll feel the heat from the torch soooooo fast, it's not even funny [​IMG] It's amazing how much protection from the heat you get from the gloves.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

dont cut the bottles up with the torch, no matter how tempting it may look.

And if you happen to knock the valve off the top, be sure the bottom is pointed away from you.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

7. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

I regards to the last mentioned knocking the top off, those things will become 3000# projectile missles!
    Has anyone been to like a Party Fun store, Michael's or similar where they fill up balloons and they have that cylinder leaning up against something. I want to go up to them and slap them, could you imagine the devestation that would cause in a store full of people?
    I saw a kid, maybe 15-16 rolling a new helium tank with no cap on the floor to replace the old one...he was kicking it along with his foot! I told the manager as an FYI, and he looked at me like I was a prick for even bring it up!
    Those things have and most certianly can go through several brick walls before they run out of energy taking everyone and everything with them.
    Sorry had to vent

8. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

don't cut the bottles with the torch? but why??? LOL I've heard these bottle go like torpedo's.

BTW thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna add a couple my father game me from watching all the iron workers; only light the acyt. and if it goes out turn the oxy off and light the acyt. again.

I think I'm going to put those new hoses on in the next day or two, and go crazy (figuratively). [​IMG]

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

For acetylene there is a rule of thumb regarding working presure. It's called the 1/7th rule. The working pressure should never exceed 1/7th of the total pressure left in the bottle. Never try and run the acetylene bottle completely empty either. Once it gets to about 40 psi it's time for a re-fill. Any lower and you'll start drawing acetone from the bottom of the bottle and the gas company will charge you extra. Also if the acetylene bottle spent any time on it's side you'll have to leave it to settle like you would for a fridge. For every hour on it's side it will need an hour standing up before use...

5 to 7 psi is lots...

Oxygen anywhere from 25 to 40 psi working pressure is good. anything more is a waste.

Both tanks should have spark arrestors at the regulator in case of burn-back...

The personal safety stuff has already been gone over pretty good. Keep an extinguisher handy though. Better safe than sorry. Make sure the bottles are chained so they cannot fall too.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

As a note to the "Bottle Rocket", I saw one first hand go through a cinder block wall and ricochete up into the air (thankfully). In the air it spun like a top and landed about 2 blocks down in the middle of the street. I don't know much of the details other than I was picking up a friends car out of impound right next to a propain/gas filling station when it happened. so be carefull and make sure you dont tug at the hose when your working [​IMG]

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/borregok5> Pictures</a>