Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cutting torch- what do i need???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Jan 26, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i want a basic set up for cutting off suspension brackets and what not. what is a good basic set up? is Oxy-acetylene the best way to go? how much should i expect to pay? any good links? thanks,

jason

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

check harbor frieght. they have all you need but the tanks for 99.99. then the tanks can be rented from your local gas place.
    or look in the phone book under welding. check for local deals. they can hook you up fairly well in bend. the industry is a good size in oregon. hell anywhere actually. but a good amount of farms out there.
    grant

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

If you dont already own bottles or have an account then expect to take it in the a$$. If you know anybody that does welding for a living get them to let you buy on their account and just pay cash. The cost will be at least half. Your best bet is to go to like Harbor Freight and buy a cheap set of gauges and a torch (cutting torches are much tougher than combination torches) then go and get bottles from a welding store. Acytelene comes with a hazmat charge and you may be better off using propane for gas, but it requires different tips. If you are only going to do this on a small time basis you might be better off with a 4-1/2" grinder and 1/8" thick wheels that cut quick and easy. Also dont forget if you use a torch stay far and away from your fuel lines. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

if i use propane can't i just use the tank from my BBQ grill? how much better is acetyline? enough to warent the exctra cost? am i going to be waiting for ever to heat things up with propane?

5. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

if you want something decent go with victor superrange outfit ($375) less tanks, if all you want to do is a one time deal find someone with a set up to do it for you ( tanks are pricey) even a mobile welder would be cheaper then buying this stuff yourself, if you do buy an outfit spend the $$ and get something of quality as it is safer and works better, as far as propane goes I've never tried this but have seen it before, propane tanks are way cheaper then acetelyn but the porformance between the two I would not know /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

7. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

good deal as long as it has quality regulator not just cheapys sold w/ victor torch body, but if it is victor regs that a killer deal, wish I knew about that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I finally got tired of borrowing my buddy's Oxy/acetylene tanks a couple weeks ago got myself a set of tanks. I think the tanks ran $210 for a 10 year lease and I got a coupon for a free O2 tank refill (a refill on O2 runs about $15). You can't buy regular Oxy/acetylene tanks - only lease them.

Last time I was buying a spool of wire for my MIG welder, I saw that TSC (Tractor Supply Co) had a set of small portable Oxy/acetylene tanks with a bunch of other stuff on their shelf. These are tanks you would own, not lease. I don't remember the price, but the tanks were about 6" diameter and 18" tall. That's plenty for occasional use. They might have come with regulators and a torch head, but I didn't pay much attention.

As for cutting with propane... propane and acetylene are two totally different ends of the spectrum when it comes to fuel. Acetylene is a VERY high energy gas while propane rates pretty low on the scale. This means you'll use a lot more propane (and oxygen too) to get the job done - plus you'll have to spend money buying specialized stuff for cutting with propane.

Check out prices on torches and tanks... might also investigate a portable setup with the small tanks.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

For home use I'd look into propane or MAPP. Both are much safer to use and store than acetylene and I can say from experience that either will do fine for cutting and heating. I've cut 2.5" plate with a propane torch...what is the max thickness you'll ever need to cut on a truck? 1/4" maybe?

Propane also lasts for a long time...we used to use the small B-B-Q bottles and they'd last quite a long time before they needed a fill.

Propane only reqiures common sense for storage too. The bottle doesn't care if you lay it on it's side for the ride home, you don't have to watch the regulator when it starts to get low...acetylene should not be run empty, you'll be drawing up acetone if you go to low.

Frankly acetylene is a pain in the ass when everything is taken into consideration.

I'll edit with a link in a few minutes...

http://www.tpub.com/steelworker1/34.htm

Spend some time reading that link...exceptionally good info there/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

10. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

How bout a plasma cutter. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. tRustyK5

A plasma cutter is a cool piece of equipment. Not as handy as a torch for some things, much more expensive, but in it's element it cannot be beat. Very clean cuts and very little heat into the material being cut. I've cut steel as thin as 20 gauge without warpage with a plasma machine...and cut up to 1/2" with the same machine.

They can be dangerous without proper training though...

Rene

12. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

I couldn't count the times a plasma has helped me. They're pricey but they do it quick and neat.

13. tRustyK5

No doubt about that...they suck for heating stuff up though/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

14. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

the MAPP gass sounds like the ticket. how expensive is it. does it require a special cutting tip or can the same ones for propane be used?

15. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Jason go to home Depot. They have a torch kit. I think it is made by lincoln. Any way it is around $300 bucks.
    Colin

16. tRustyK5

MAPP uses a tip like propane IIRC. It's less expensive than acetylene but a little more than propane. If/when I get a torch set-up for home use it'll be MAPP for sure.

Rene

17. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have a harbor freight setup like you linked to. Works great for everything I need (and I probably use it more than you are describing). I picked it up used with the 21 gal oxygen tank and 5 gallon propane. So far I have refilled the oxygen tank 3 times and still have over 50% of the propane left if not more.

Well worth going with Propane in this case and you can use your barbeque's tank too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I will be down in Bend this weekend if you want to see the setup I am using.

18. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

a friend of my dad cut off the tip of his finger with a plasma cutter,then it cotterized it! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

19. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

so do you have to mix propane with oxygen to cut or can you just use propane?

20. tRustyK5

You need propane and oxygen to cut.

Rene