Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cutting trees down,and other adventures..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by diesel4me, Oct 25, 2005.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Tried to cut some dead trees down for firewood yesterday,in advance of the "Nor'easter" that came today,with 60mph winds..(I should build a friggin windmill--been windy enough here to make enough free power for a month!)..between that and the flooding rains here the past 3 weeks (14+ inches! :eek1: ) we have not had a very good fall..didn't have much foliage to speak of..all the trees stayed green right up until the end,and our maples that are usually brilliant reds and oranges turned a sickly yellow..now 90% of the leaves are blocking the sewers and causing flooding! :doah: so much for leaf peeping this year...

After I cut one tree,it started falling the wrong way(of course! :doah: )and it got hung up in some other trees..had to use a rope and my truck to pull it down!..it was fun,but I was afraid the rope would snap(only 5/8 manilla old crappy 50' rope I had)..but it did the job,and though the tree came crashing down on my flatbed/crane trailer,it missed the winch by an few inches,and it was all rotten and dead,so no real damage done..

But I almost cause a LOT of damage,trying to get another cherry tree about 10" in diameter down..I wasted a half hour playing cowboy,trying to toss the rope 30' up and over the tree by using a 4" hunk of square tubing as a weight!..I got it hung up on several small branches--once I got it stuck,and couldn't pull it down by hand..no biggie,I'll just get in my truck,and pull foreward until it comes loose,right??..

Well---it came lose allright!..I was not in the "line of fire",my truck was off to one side,and I was using other trees as a "snatch block" to make up for the "offset"...I drove foreward 50'--still wouldn't budge!..55 feet,and the tree was bending and cracking!--and the rope and weight were only snagged on a 1" branch! :screwy: --

I pull up another 10',thinking "that rope HAS to snap pretty soon,or that branch is gonna go,one or the other"...no sooner did I say that to myself,I hear SNAP!!--WING-A LING-ALING!...and I watch the steel tubing counterweight fly out from under my truck,and the rope is still attached--then it cracks like a whip,and the tubing goes flying 50 more feet out into the street--just as 3 cars come speeding down the street,and it tumbles right in front of them! :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :eek: -

-I don't know how,but all
    of them missed it--I was expceting to hear "POP--HISSSS---TIRES GOING FLAT---SCCRREEECH--BANG-CRASH--BREAKING GLASS SOUNDS--SCREAMING!!!!--but I was lucky--no one ran it over- :eek1: ..I think I stopped breathing for a moment!

I started breathing again,and ran out in the street and retrieved my tubing.. :whistle: --and I decided I'd better put the rope away ,and cut up the trees I already had down instead.....and try again later in the week..maybe with a bigger rope this time.. :rolleyes:

I hope my truck doesen't end up crushed by a tree,or have a missle shot at it like yesterday..this cherry tree is gonna be a beotch..its hung up in another tree,and its right over my fence..one false move,and the fence is toast.. another dead one 60" high behind the fence too,that could fall in my neighbors yard if I dont pull it over the right way..:doah: :( got at least 2 others I have to take down too,that are in a cluster of other trees, :crazy: --should prove to be interesting.. :rolleyes: :crazy:

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Oh I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay....

I sleeps all night and I works all day....

No Monty Python fans out there?????

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  3. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Lumberjack Song
    :haha:

4. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Think I would have come close to having a heart-attack during the 'missile' part of that, even though I'm only 22!

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Glad you're ok out of it and didn't have any disasters r injuries... And I'm sure glad I'm not your neighbor... :yikes: :D :D

Be careful with that cherry when you do go after it, that's a hardwood, very dense and much heavier than you'd expect. I've taken down a couple 14"-18" Cherry's, and I always expect them to be much lighter when I'm bucking the trunk.

I'm no lumberjack nor a pro at tree felling, but I do love doing it.

Just out of curiousity, how old is your house, and does your stove just radiate heat, or is it driving the heating system?

Mine is 1920's era with oil-fired steam heat (used to be coal-fired). The coal furnace/boiler was disconnected and is off in a corner of the basement, but I've been thinking about plumbing it back in so I can burn wood and stuff again. Otherwise, I'm just depending on my fireplace, which is good, but not as good as whole-house steam heat.

6. Inu-Hanyou1776

With the price of propane and LPG going through the roof alonside gasoline, my parents have started considering possibly dragging the old Ashley wood heater out of the garage, temporarily diconnecting and removing their gas heater, and going back to wood heating for this winter.

Grandmother and I meanwhile use mostly electric heat, since that's the kind of heating system the house has. Only non-electric heater we have is a free-standing, portable kerosene heater that I've moved into the room where my drumset is so brother and I can keep jamming in there over the course of the winter.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

House not that old..

Our house was built in 1978,so its not that old..due to mom's emphasema,I am not going to use the wood stoves in the house,unless absolutely nessasary.( might have too--she's only getting enough fuel assistance for 1 tank of oil this winter!). :eek1: what a choice--freeze to death,or suffocate!.. :screwy:

We have 2 stoves,one is a"Hearth Mate" that goes in front of the fireplace,there is a big sheet of steel that covers the fireplace,and it sets on the hearth..we got it new when the house was built,and there is another 28" "box" stove in the boiler room next to the oil furnace in the basement.. both heated the house with no problem,and we've since added 6 more inches of insulation in the attic..the stoves have no "blower",they just radiate the heat..

I was going to cut a hole in the floor and put a register in to let the heat from the stove in the boiler room heat the bedroom above it,but it wasn't really nessasary.. putting a small fan at the bottom of the stairs helped the heat rise uptairs,and keep the downstairs from getting TOO warm!..

I miss not having the stove going down there--my room is down there,and its damp and musty and moldy(spiders heaven! :mad: )--the stove kept it nice and dry in the winter--in fact,I'd put a kettle of water on it so I wouldn't get a bloody nose from excessively dry air!..without the stove,we really should have a de-humidifier downstairs..

My dad and I cut about 4 cords of wood from what WAS out 4 acre lot
    (until my *****bag mother sold half of it after he died in 2000-- :angry1: :angry1:now we have 1.7 acres left :( ),and we heated the house for free in the winters of 78 and 79 (78 was the BLIZZARD year!--we were lucky to have the stoves then,and some wood--we had NO power for 8 days!,and the pipes would have frozen and burst! :eek1: )--..

Oil was pricey then too(though nothing compared to todays prices!)..they claim during the "Arab Embargo" gas and oil was more expensive then than now,when inflation is figured in,but I dont see how...my paycheck didn't change much since!

If I had my way,I'd move my 55 gallon barrel stove from my garage into the furnace room(which has a cement floor,and is concrete walled on 2 sides,very safe room for a stove),and I'd use that to burn all our trash and wood to heat the house free!--I can always seem to scrounge up free pallets or other wood fairly easy.. :o ..just takes labor and time..I have enough dead trees to last this winter no problem--IF I can cut them down without getting killed... :rolleyes: --wood sells for 200 a cord now,so its not really a "cheap" alternative like it once was if you buy it..

Your right about cherry being a dense heavy wood! :eek1: --it was all I could do to carry a 6" diameter log 10' long about 50' to cut it up and stack it!--those 10" ones are going to weigh a ton!..the dead one closest to my neigbors BRAND NEW house :eek1: built 2 months ago is very dead and dry,no bark on it..hope I can get it to fall where I want it too,or at least miss their house,and not pooch the landscaping.. :eek1: not going to cut them today-still way to breezy out there! :doah:

I used to be good friends with the woman who lives there (a lesbian :eek1: --I didn't know right away,but I figured it out quickly when her "partner" always dominated her),but thanks to those stray cats my mother feeds,we had a war,and don't speak anymore..so I have to be very careful not to start anything with her(them?)...whatever.. :surepal: :whistle: ..ahh,the joys of suburban life in the sucky northeast..I hate it..why couldn't I have been born in the desert in Arizona.. :confused: :crazy:

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Sweet, thanks Cheryle.

Don't get yourself squished Diesel, at least you didn't clunk yourself in the head with the steel.

9. Inu-Hanyou1776

I'm gonna tell dad the next time I see him that if he does decide to bring the wood heater out of retirement for this winter, he can get all the free wood he wants in the form of wooden pallets and crates from where I worked, IOI in Andrews. They've got piles and piles of used wooden crates and pallets just sitting in a corner of the parking lot and often times have to have a pallet burning party every few days because of all the unused pallets and crates that pile up inside the building and have to be moved out and disposed of constantly.

Parents' house was built in '77 before the new housing regulations went into effect, and the builder took advantage of it, cutting corners everywhere he could while building it, so it's a pretty sucky house build-quality-wise and parents' constantly have to deal with that side of things all the time.

Meanwhile, grandmother's house I live in now was built in the early 50's, but the rich grandad MADE SURE it was built right. So even now 50+ years old, house is still as structurally solid as Mt. Rushmore. Major problems it has though are basement flooding problems, the in-ceiling electric heating system I think stinks so it's ice-cold during the winter, and no central A/C since central A/C didn't exist in the 50's (only a whole-house fan in the ceiling in the hall, but we have added three window-type air-conditioners), so house gets as hot as hell during the summer.

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Careful burning lots of pine. Real pitchy wood.