Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CV Driveshaft Conversion Help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Overdrive, Nov 30, 2000.

1. Overdrive

Overdrive Registered Member

I am having problems with my CV joint drive shaft conversion. Has ANYONE ever done the conversion with a 203 transfer case? It appears the replacement Output yoke the driveshaft guys gave me will NOT fit properly on the tcase. Please help! Does anyone know the model of yoke and any other mods necessary for this conversion? My problem appears to be particular to the 203 (NOT 205).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Overdrive

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I've done this. What exactly doesn't fit? I couldn't find a socket to fit the nut and inside of the yoke. I ended up taking the biggest socket I could fit in the yoke and filing down the nut to fit.

3. Overdrive

Did you need to switch out the yoke? if so, do you know what the part number was? The new yoke they gave me has a smaller "footprint" to match up to the end of the CV joint. It also has a flange around the base of the yoke (the stock yoke does not appear to have one). I guess the key question is what was the part number of the new yoke and did it use the same nut as the original.

Thanks,

Overdrive

4. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

the yoke they gave you have a smaller seal size?

5. Overdrive

I am not sure what you mean by "seal" size. The end of the yoke that bolts to the driveshaft (claw end) is narrower than the stock yoke to accomidate the change in diameter of the CV joint end. Accordingly, the space inside the yoke (where the bolt is) is smaller than the stock yoke. So the nut and the thick washer behind it are smaller. I need to go to a hardware sore to find the washer but the nut is from FORD (Gasp!). It is 1 1/4 but still 'appears' to fit on the end of the output shaft from the tcase. Also, the new nut is a tight fit and I am not sure I will be able to get a socket on it. Hopefully with the thick spacer it will give me enought room to tork the nut. I am calling Offroad Unlimited at 9 to see if they have done this conversion before and know the "tricks."

Overdrive