Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CV driveshaft help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jaredmajor, Apr 4, 2007.

1. jaredmajor

jaredmajor Registered Member

I have a np205 that had a cv front driveshaft, but it has the yoke at the output instead of the flange. I've got a driveshaft out of a truck with the flange style cv driveshaft.

My question is if i can remove the flange from the driveshaft and just attach it to the yoke. I know that ball in there would be removed, is that okay?:crazy: How did the yoke work with my old cv driveshaft? It broke along time ago and i am just now replacing it. I threw out the old one so i don't remember what it looked like. Pics would be nice to please, thanks guys.:D

2. jaredmajor

nobody has any idea???

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

The round flange you speak of fits I think 29spline? outputs. It sounds like you MIGHT have the more desirable 32 spline front output. You cannot use your CV shaft and put it on your yoke. Sounds like if you have the shaft with the round flange it ain't gonna work cuz the t-case yoke to accept that flange isn't 32 spline. You will have to source another shaft and use it.

4. jaredmajor

No, the 205 in the truck has the old 10 spline yoke that had a cv driveshaft. I'm trying to put a cv driveshaft out of a newer 205 that has a 30spline flange and flanged cv driveshaft.

I checked on ORD's website and they have the info there as to what i have, but doesn't say anything about the older cv driveshaft that bolted up to a yoke.

I'm so confused...haha....i think i might go and take that 205 out of the doner truck and just swap that in. I don't know.

5. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    This is what it used to have in it then. Dang I dont; recall exactly how this went either- It's been a few years. I remember it had fine thread nuts on the back of the t-case yoke that took forever to spin off.

You now want to put this style CV on your truck, right?[​IMG]

We'll number one, I thought GM 205s all came with the round front output. The 1st pic is of one for a 203. It sounds like you are looking at swapping front outputs. If you can get the correct whole 205 case I would go that route. If you end up swapping front shafts I would swap to the 32 spline if you can. If you thing you will ever want to run a 1350 or 1410 u joint. Hope that helps.