Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CV driveshaft idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Nov 2, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I was told that the ujoints in a front CV shaft is S44 from the factory. If this is true could I not take the CV from a front shaft and put it on my rear shaft which is also S44 joints? I know it is not orthodox but it is cheap and will get me by until I finalize my DL lengths and can get HAD shafts built.

Go ahead and bust my bubble. If it can not be done please explain to me why. I think I can put the CV in the rear driveline and put my existing slipyoke infront of it I think it will also give me the extra length to swap my 56s backwards.

Thanks

Ira

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Sure you can do it. But you need slip-yoke that has the centering ball ;)

[​IMG]
    FWIW, some old Cadillacs used a double-cardan with a slip joint. Not sure on the joint size, and I don't imagine its good for much angle.

Here's one of the cheaper ways you use the S44 double-cardan on the rear:
    http://www.arizonadrivelines.com/drive_shaft_SYE.htm

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

\

OK I am stupid why do you need a centering ball? what would happen if I just put my yoke on it. I also remember someone who sold just the yokes but I cannot seem to find them. The link is you supplied is for eliminator kits and slip flanges for 1330 and 1350 CV with a smaller pilot diameter.

Ira

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

You can get a slip yoke for the CV.

This is the shaft I've been running in the rear of my Marvzda. It uses the Saginaw CV on a slip yoke rear shaft.

Only problem I've had is that this CV has limited "angle" capability - and I've busted the CV 2 times now.

Marv

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The cost of the Slipyoke is probably close to the price of having a CV shaft made with larger than S44 joints also eh? Where did you get said slipyoke and what is not much angle. I run 56s in the rear and get about 12" of travel. Man it looks alot more than 12 but I do not max out my 12" travel shocks when the truck is on jackstands I have about 1" left in them. Any info you have would be great I am just trying to think out of the box.

Did any vehicles come with CVs in the rear that I might find in a junkyard?

Ira

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

A bunch of the largest GM cars used the set up in the diagram. Look for the biggest Buicks, Olds and Pontiacs from the late 70s, early 80s.:D

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I don't think , from what I read on here , and at HAD website , that the GM rear yokes in the RWD cars were NOT splined all the way .

My rear shaft has an aftermarket slip yoke that is splined all the way . Some shops will sell just the parts , but you gotta search them out .

In a rear Blazer , shackle flip with stock 52's , stock shock mount locations and gabriel shocks , I have never had angle problems from a s44 CV .

I have however blown up a greaseable u-joint there ( all I had ) so run Spicer or Brute Force .

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Essentially the same as running a 2-piece rear driveshaft without a support bearing. :crazy: (Albeit the one piece is very short.)

I'm not up on the pilot diameters. Perhaps they make one of those for the S44 double-cardan also.