Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CV DS and pinion angles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Aug 23, 2001.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, I know I need to reangle the pinion since Im going with a CV driveshaft. Whats the general consensus on what angle?
    1 degree or 2 degrees? I know the axle will wrap a little under load but I didn't know if the 14 would wrap any less or more than a 10 bolt. Wouldn't seem that it would, but stranger things have happened.

What is and what should never be....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Well, with the CV I believe that you need to point the pinion DIRECTLY at the t-case output. With the torque factor, they say you should angle the pinion 1 degree DOWN from that point for optimum results. So, basically, get the pinion lined up exactly to the t-case output, then turn it down by one degree and you should be set.

I am thinking about doing the CV also (see my post), please let us know how it helps you! I currently have a vibe that just won't go away, so maybe the CV is the only way?? Good luck!

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have my CV shimmed up 8 degrees and it works great. If you have some real power and torque you might want to go 9 or 10 degrees. If you have a shackle flip I believe you actually have to shim the pinion down a little. Here are some pics of the pinion angle and CV shaft I have. http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch