Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CV joint or not?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mkmiller, Apr 17, 2002.

1. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

I've been wanting to know what the advantages are to having a CV joint in the front driveshaft? My '71 has one with the 203 transfer but I'm swapping in a 205 out of the '69 and it's front shaft doesn't have one. Is this a necessity? I'm looking at putting a 4" lift on the '71 next year and I already have a 1" body lift if that matters. Any help is appreciated.
    Matthew

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

you will need one with the 205...especaily if you lower your transfer case when you left the truck...the front yoke will be aimed up slightly so the angles would suck ass if you dont have a c/v for the front.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

You can live without it. You would be better off with it. 72THING has 6" front springs and no CV....but lots of clearance grinding to make the angles work.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have one on my front 205 output. I don't knwo the answer but when I bought my K5 in 93 it did not have one in front and I could not go over 10mph in 4x4 without a serious vibe out front. A new CV & shaft fixed ALL the vib issues. Oh and I did not lower my Tcase mount with my 4"Rancho lift....
    I recomend getting one.