Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cv joint questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confederate9, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i am considering different ways to get rid of my axle wrap.
    i have 5inches rear lift, and i have dropped the tcase w/. the stock spacers.
    i was cinsidering these ideas:
    1. drop the tcase a bit more by putting washers with the stock spacers to drop it more
    2 axle shims.... i dont know much about these or where to buy them, but what do yall think [where do i buy em?]
    3. a CV joint. i know this might be extreme, but i dont know much about them where to buy one, and what i should expect to pay.
    What are the advantages of a CV joint w/ my 10bolt rear and stock transfercase, but remember my tcase has already been dropped w. the stock spacers.
    any information, ideas, or sugestions?

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

OK, none of this stuff is aimed at curing axlewrap, only at curing vibrations, which may or may not be related to axle wrap. (of course, every lift-kit maker and suspension shop calls all vibrations "axle wrap" because they really don't know what else to call it, but that's another story...)

I don't recommend lowering the transfer case at all, unless you have to because the driveshaft angle is too tight. Your real goal is to match the upper and lower U-joint angles. So first, <font color=red>measure them</font color=red> and then figure out what needs to move. Another way to look at it is that your pinion and transfer case output shaft have to be parallel. A set of shims may be all that you need to cure vibrations and they are available from all truck and suspension shops, Summit, etc. They are just little wedges and are not expensive.

Once the angles in the two joints are matched, you are ready to look into other problems...

<font color=green>Today's Forecast: Partly cloudy with a chance of mud</font color=green>