Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CV Joint Removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieRed, Mar 2, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Busted fron U-joint, now i need to replace it, and am taking the driveshaft out. the CV joint comes out with just those four bolts right? this looks like it's not going to be fun, my wrench keeps slipping off, any tips?

2. BowtieRed

out. now can i replace the u-joints within the CJ joint?

3. BowtieRed

i bet every single one of you knows the answer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yes, replace the CV ball, too. The hardest part is getting the spring in, but its not that bad. Info on the case and yoke style would have gotten you a better answer. There are diff access spots depending on the crossmember. Once its apart look it over closely for cracks in the casting. Once you do it once its not that bad the next time. If you have a specific "?" ask & I'll try to help.

5. BowtieRed

i had already gotten the CJ joint out, but boy did that thin handle on the wrench hurt my palm! i think the U-joints are ok. i am replacing the lower joint and painting the shaft (gettin rid of the nasty chrome 'tape' it came with with a nice red coat of kylon!)

FINALLY when i get my new rear 4.88s this truck will be read to go for the first time in two months! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif