Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CV Rear Drive Shaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FL84K5, Mar 18, 2003.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I've got an 84 Blazer with 6 inches of lift. Got a NP208 and 10 bolt rear. If I have a rear CV shaft made for my currrent setup, will I still be able to use it when I get a 14 bolt? Is it just a matter of swapping the u-joint like on the stock shaft?

2. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

It will be too long after the swap.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

If you make it about 1 1/2" short, then you'll be close to centered when you get the 14 bolt in, assuming you don't change your lift too much.

4. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Would that give me any problems with the 10 bolt? Right now, the angle coming off the t case looks to be about 10 degrees, while the rear pinion is perfectly inline with the drive shaft, giving me major vibrations.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if the thing is driveable now... i recommend keeping your stock stuff until after u swap in the ff14b. that way you will only have to buy a $pendy driveline upgrade once. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

If you have a lot of flex built into the rear, you could run into problems running a short shaft. If you have bad vibes now, a blown u-joint is in your future if you continue to drive with it vibrating. If you need to buy some time to get the 14 bolt situated and want to explore a new CV driveline, you'd be best to buy some cheap $10 aluminum shims from your local off road shop and temporarily shim the pinion back down and make it driveable. As stated above, if your going to spend the money on a nice CV shaft, drop the 14 bolt in there first and run a conversion joint to reattatch your current driveline. Take the exact measurement you will need with the 14 bolt pinion inline with the shaft and order your CV. Then drop your cheap aluminum shims back in so you can drive the truck until your shaft shows up.

7. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Thats what I will do then. Go ahead and shim it for now. Whats the largest angles shims that are made?

8. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

9. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

A-tron also makes what they call a tapered offset block that goes up to 8 degrees.

10. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It will be too long after the swap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting in the 14boltFF pulled my shaft out about 7/16"

I need a longer shaft.