Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CV rear driveshafts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun89, Oct 26, 2005.

1. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

Alright i am wondering if you can take the CV joint from the front driveshaft and ad it to the stock rear driveshaft to lengthn it? Just attach it to the output yoke and driveshaft, giving it the couple extra inches for the bigger lift i have now? Would it be ok?

2. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

I've been wondering the same thing. Any info on this would be great.

troy

3. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

if you cut the ehole CV off the front driveshaft, and welded it onto the rear, plus installed a flange output (or put the front output yoke on the back), you could, but it's not worth it. 1310's barely belong in the back to begin with, and if you've done something where you need a CV, odds are you want something bigger.

4. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

the CV flange from the 30 spline front ouput will not fit the rear 32 spline output. You can look around for a ford (i feel dirty saying that) cv shaft. I use on from the back of a 78 bronco with 1330s

5. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

i am just talking about the part that kinda floats between the shaft and the part that bolts onto the tcase from a front driveshaft, seeing they use the same ujoints i would assume u could just put it n there to take up extra space?

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Nope...

If you mean the CV'S "H" yoke alone,that has the 2 u-joints,you cant..you need that "centering ball" thats part of the driveshaft that goes between the 2 joints in the CV yoke,too keep them from flopping around!.. :crazy:

7. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

oo man...i really thought it would work...o well thanks for the info guys

8. toy4x4runner

toy4x4runner 1/2 ton status

not sure how it works on chebby's, but for my Yota rear CV I took my stock driveshaft and a front CV driveshaft to my driveline shop and had him build it from the 2. works great.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

could be done..

I have a driveshaft from a 76 Caddy deville that has 2 CV joints,one at each end! :eek1: ..you probably could cut and splice one end of one like that onto a 4x4 driveshaft,but Caddy used the "inside clip" u-joints,that I don't think the GM trucks ever used..maybe a Ford or Lincoln would have a similar setup,and have the right u-joints..??..at any rate,its an expensive experiment to try,and it might not work..money would be better spent on a custom aftermarket shaft thats gauranteed to fit and work... :crazy: