Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CV Shaft??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, Jun 7, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of buying a CV Shaft to fix the problem on my Blazer, I keep braking my rear u-joint I was told that I need to drop the t-case and then fix the alingment of the rear differential, but I was getting some prices and for both jobs they charge me almost $300, you guys think I could get a CV Shaft for around that price? and my next question is would I need to drop the t-case if I go with the CV Shaft? without fixing the problem I'm driving like a granny(no offense to grannys I love them but they do drive slow) I like to punch on the gas especially off-road well you need to punch the gas to get out of the mud anyway, if anybody knows about this I really appreciated thanks guys and girls.

check out my new site, thanks Steve!
    http://chaka73.coloradok5.com

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Automatic or manual? That makes a difference. Which u-joint are you breaking? The output for the t-case or the axle end? How long is your rear driveshaft now? How much lift? If you are using u-joints at both ends then they need to be at equal but opposite angles to each other to minimize vibrations. The t-case end is probably a steeper angle than the axle. If you use a CV then the axle must be in a straight line with the driveshaft (you will have to tilt the axle pumpkin up). By the way, my granny still hauls a$$ in her big boat she drives (1985 lincoln town car). Scares the HELL out of me.

BIGJ

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am running 6" Superlift Superride springs in the front and 3" blocks and a long add-a-leaf in the rear with 35x15.50x15 TSL's.. I have the stock front Driveshft in the front with a 1" spacer and in the rear I haven't done anything to the drive shaft.(Although I should since it is hanging out the t-case pretty good.

I think you may have other problems.

Out of personal prefference, I wouldn't drop the t-case, you will lose ground clearence(not much)but I like to keep everything high.

What about your pinion bearings? Any slop? that may cause your u-joints to go bad.(in the rear)

I dont think 4" of lift warrants the use of a CV drive shaft or a t-case drop.

I had a 4" on my Jimmy beofre this 6" and I ran pretty much the same set-up. I have had the 6" on for 2 years now and I had the 4" on for about 4 years. All without problems.(except a worn out slip joint on the front shaft)

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - Emmett
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com