Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CV Type U-Joint

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DPI, Aug 7, 2000.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about putting on a CV joint on my driveshaft. The reason for this is I am getting a vibration under acceleration. I do not have any lift, however the angle from my transfer case is quite severe as compared to the pinion side. I lowered my trasfer case by moving the spacers, that are below the transfer case crossmember, to between the crossmember and the frame. This got rid of the vibration but when I put it in reverse it feels like it is binding and there is a very strange noise coming from somewhere.
    Has anyone used a CV joint on a slip yoke?
    I can get this done with the new CV joint and having the shaft shortened and balanced for around $175.
    Is this worth it?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would think you weould have other problems and wouldn't need this. There are guys here running a lot of lift with out a CV rear shaft and without having to drop the t-case.

How is your pinion bearings and your output shaft bearings?

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Everything seems to be tight. Everyone talks about both u-joint angles being the same degress. I have not measured it yet but just looking at it, the front ujoint is at more of an angle than the rear.

4. I think the 4 wheeler mag used one in the stinky blazer project.How much lift do you have?Do you have anything on the rear axle to correct the pinion angle?I tried a transfer case drop on mine,it made a lot of strange noises!
    I took mine back off,most of the noise went away.
    I have a 4"lift with a 700/208 combo,there about the same as yours in length I think.I dont have any vibes from mine.
    Hope this helps.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

The rear pinion angle is not bad. I would say 2-3 degrees if I had to guess. But the front angle is about twice that. Maybe 4-6 degrees. I moved the transfer case back to the frame and the noises while in reverse went away but the vibration came back under accelleration. It is also getting a slight harmonic vibration when your not accellerating or deaccellerating. The blazer has the three leaf springs on the front and sits considerable higher than the rear.

6. Emmettology 101

I have a TH350/NP208 combo which is about 1 3/4" 's shorter than bibad82k5's and I am running a 6" Superirde lift and I am running the stock driveshft with no transfer case drop and I dont get any vibes from the rear. I do get a few from the front, but that is because I need a new front driveshaft, my slip joint is wore out.

Mike [​IMG]

7. Hey Emmett,just pack it ful of grease man!!!Thats what I did !LOL
    I think I did drink to much yesterday!!Feel to good for a monday!

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

8. Emmettology 101

Ya, it helps for a little while and then starts vibin again.

Mike [​IMG]