Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cylinder head/intake manifold question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Nov 10, 2002.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking of upgrading my cylinder heads and intake manifold on my 350tbi in the future. I'm a little confused as to what intakes fit certain heads. I've heard a lot of good things about the vortec heads. Edelbrock makes an E-tec head which I assume is the same thing. If I changed to the E-tec heads and matching vortec intake manifold, will my throttle body still fit? Because from the description, it sounds like only carburetors are made to fit the manifold. If it helps, here are the product #'s for Jegs.com: 350-60979 for the E-tec heads, and 350-2116 for the Vortec style intake manifold. thanks.

Matt

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

The vortec head upgrade will gain you around 40 h.p.
    This is one of the things I'm planning on doing when my engine needs a little more pep.
    What it takes:
    vortec heads - can be purchased at a dealer for around $400-450.
    vortec/tbi intake - this intake manifold will bolt up to the intake bores on the vortec heads and allow you to still use your tbi.
    egr crossover something or other - the stock tbi manifold has an egr valve plumbed into the intake. The vortec heads do not allow for the same setup. Some crossover is needed from head to head, or head to intake - I'm not too sure, but if you do a search for vortec heads, you'll find plenty of info.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yer close : )

Vortec head setups need exhaust gas routed to the intake from the exhaust manifolds.

Scoggin-Dickey sells a Vortec EGR retrofit setup, and so does Edelbrock (apparently), but Edelbrock has done a good job of hiding any information about it. My memory has probably failed me, but 2298 might be the Edelbrock part number for that kit.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for setting things straight. I knew it was something with exhaust gasses.

5. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

i can maybe help on the exhaust stuff!! i recently put in the gm crate motor with the vortec heads, and i ran into alot of problems (mostly questions), however i did receive some help here!! you'll have to plumb in exhaust from your exhaust. i have headers and they cut a hole by the collectors and welded in a pipe which they connected the the tube (are we confused yet??). anyway, it's pretty straight forward, i'll dig up some pics here real quick after i eat breakfast! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

ok, mine is a carb application (i failed to mention that), but plumbing the exhaust should be the same (for vortec heads that is)? ok, the 2nd pic you can barely see the hose running down under the master cylinder (blue fitting/connector). this is where the exhaust is plumbed from the collector to the hose fitting. in the 1st pic is just shows the hose running on top of the intake manifold and into the hole by the thermostat housing. and if anyone is wondering why there are 2 different air filters, it's because the 2nd pic is an old one! :P also, i know you didn't specifically ask about the vortec heads (exhaust), i just thought i'd throw that out there! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

http://sosaman.home.texas.net/exhaust1.jpg

http://sosaman.home.texas.net/exhaust2.jpg

7. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

I agree with these chaps... you definately need to go with VORTECH HEADS!! THey are the best bang for the buck!!
    WITHOUT A DOUBT!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys, I found just about everything I needed at Scoggin-Dickey including the EGR adapter fittings. I have one more question though. I have Edelbrock TES headers with an AIR hole on each side. Since I will be yanking out the AIR system anyway, could I possibly run the EGR pipes from there? Also, does the EGR system work with only one pipe from a single header? Or is there 2 pipes that connect the headers to the manifold? thanks.

Matt

9. jmd

jmd Registered Member

Bayou,

As long as the 4bbl intake is a dual plane w/ 2 openings or a single plane, you can bolt your TBI throttle body on w/ the adapter that was on the 7.4L TBI trucks around '91. I don't think Edelbrock has an EGR capable intake meant for 4bbl, however GM does. Plus there's that EGR TBI Vortec manifold from Edelbrock I believe.