Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cylinder Head Swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadJap, Jul 2, 2003.

1. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Hi. I'm finally going to swap in some remanufactured stock cylinder heads into my Jimmy. (Cooked valve guides in existing heads)

Can anybody give me some pointers for things I need and things that can make the swap easier (Tools, gaskets, steps)?

Oh ya... the engine is still in the truck.

Thanks!

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

At least pick up a Chilton, and read up on this. You will need to get the torgue specs and tightening sequence anyway.

The only special tool you will need, is a GOOD torque wrench....

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

A clicker type torque wrench, a 5/8 deepwell socket, a short 1/2" drive extension, spark plug socket, and just everyday tool's.

Clean the thread's of the head bolt's off with a wire wheel bench grinder type, run a 7/16" coarse tap down through all of the head bolt hole's, get some liquid "Teflon pipe sealant" Locktight or equivelant, to put on the head bolt's when You go to install the head's. The bolt's are in the cooling system when installed, so they have to be sealed.

Torque is 65 ft.lbs. on the head bolt's.

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

While you've got the heads off, check that the mark on the harmonic balancer is correct. It will either be TDC of Cyl 1 or 6. When I got mine back together, I wasn't sure whether the mark was right and it would have been much easier to check with the heads off.

Get at least a full tube of RTV. I used a mess of it since there are a lot of large gaskets. Fel-pro makes a top end gasket kit that had everything I needed except umbrella valve seals.

If you have any hard fuel line to your TBI (I can't remember from my 90), make sure to hook that up as soon as possible. I forgot about the line to my carb and spent 45 minutes trying to squeeze it b/t the alternator and block as the last step.

Also, don't forget to set up your distributor right when you put it all back together. I tried to remember which was it was facing and set it that way, forgetting I had rotated the crankshaft to adjust the valves.

One more thing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif do a search on here for the options on valve seals. There are at least three I know of, the o-rings like the factory ones, the umbrella seals (like I mentioned earlier), and another kind that are actually connected to the valve stem.

5. BigBadJap

I'm picking up the gaskets(FelPro) and heads today. Do you recall what kind of RTV yo used? I know there are several different kinds...

6. BigBadJap

Ok. This is getting painful now. I started pulling accessories so I could remove the heads since the acc. brackets are bolted into the heads. I've removed the fan shroud, fan, water pump, A/C, Alt, Passenger side Accessory bracket, and Throttle body. BUT now I am stuck at the trying to remove the driver side acc. bracket - the friggen power steering pump is in the way!! I see a bolt stuck behind the P/S pulley, but I can't get to it with a wrench, and there is another bolt on the opposite side which I also can't get to because there is not enough clearance. (It is a support bracket attached into the #1 cylinder exhaust manifold bolts) Anyway, I think the last bolt for the Driver side Acc. bracket is directly behind the P/S pump. This stupid bracket is the last thing in my way from pulling the drivers side head.

Any idea what I'm missing? Do I need to remove the pulley from the P/S somehow so I can?

It's an 1989 Jimmy with a serpentine belt

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Are all the bolts out of the head itself????

Stick a bar down an intake runner and give it a 'pop' to break it loose.

You can remove the pulley for that bolt behind it....

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Get at least a full tube of RTV. I used a mess of it since there are a lot of large gaskets. Fel-pro makes a top end gasket kit that had everything I needed except umbrella valve seals.

[/ QUOTE ]
    true and not true.
    its a head kit. and if the year in question is supposed to haev umbrella seals they will be in there.
    the one i got for an 86 motor even had the doughnuts for the exhaust manifolds.
    they run bout 55 dollars for a felpro set. i love the sets honestly.
    grant

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Do I need to remove the pulley from the P/S somehow so I can?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep. They actually make a tool set that pulls the pulley off, and then will reinstall it when you put things back together. Down here south of the border many of the auto parts store will loan them to ya for free. You leave a deposit, then get it refunded when you take the tool back. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif If you have places like Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. they can hook you up. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

true and not true.
    its a head kit. and if the year in question is supposed to haev umbrella seals they will be in there.
    the one i got for an 86 motor even had the doughnuts for the exhaust manifolds.
    grant

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what's the "not true" part of what I said. The kit I got had every gasket from the head gasket up (including the exhaust manifold, EGR, dist, etc gasket). It was not supposed to have the umbrella seals; I wanted them on there.

I agree with Harry, pull the PS pulley. If you can't get the whole pump off with the pulley (some pulleys I've seen have holes so you can get to the pump bolts), just buy a PS puller/installer. They're pretty easy to use and nice to have.

11. BigBadJap

I rented a puller and got the pulley off. There are actually three 13mm bolts holding the PS pump to the accessory bracket.

<---------------- BEGIN RANT ------------------>
    To remove the heads... which I have not finished yet, I've HAD to remove every accessory bracket and water pump. I'm literally motor mounts aways from being able to pull the whole motor and STILL can't get the damned heads out because the exhaust manifolds are in the way of 3 head bolts which means I have to REMOVE the manifolds altogether. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

<---------------- END RANT -------------------->

I pulled the intake yesterday - I'm worried now, I saw fel-pro gaskets on the intake... I was under the impression the motor untouched and in factory form.