Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cylinder honing help?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Jul 15, 2003.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

This is my first time doing it, so is there any thing I need to look out for? How fast does the drill need to go and for how long do I need to hone each cylinder?

-Also, is TDC when the cam sprocket is in the 12 o'clock position or the 6 o'clock position? I think its the 12 but the Haynes manual wasn't very clear on it. Thanks.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

timing gears are typically installed with the cam gear dot facing 6, crank gear facing 12, and then of course, 6 and 6 is TDC #1

3. BayouBlazer88

sorry I didnt totally understand your reply. I know the sprockets are installed with the cam at 6 and the crank at 12. So your saying this position is also TDC for piston #1?

4. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

Line up the dots by placing the cam gear dot at the bottom (6 o'clock) & crank at the top (12 o'clock). This will install the cam correctly. It is #1 top dead center, but not #1 TDC compression. To get #1 TDC compression rotate 1 turn so that both dots are facing the top (12 o'clock) this is where you can install the distributor with rotor pointed at the #1 plug terminal.

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

If you are using a dingle-berry style hone you want to keep your drill speed down to around 500 RPM or so and do each cylinder for 30 to 45 seconds while continously creating a cross hatch pattern ( 45 degree ).Don't forget to go into and out of each cylinder while the drill is spinning .
    The lubricant is a big topic of debate among mechanics but I use 30 weight oil mixed with Marvel Mystery Oil as my lube . Good luck , Tom

6. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

When honing your looking for a tight cross hatch pattern. Use a dingle ball hone and clean it in some solvent each cylinder that you hone. Then reoil it when honing the next cylinder. What the solvent does is clean off the impregnated metal on the balls. I used the Marvel mix also when honing. The last thing I do when honing is go in reverse for about 15 or so seconds and work the hell out of that hone(up and down) as fast as you can move. It gave me the perfect cross hatch pattern. I learned this from my school instructor who has rebuilt a ton of motors. Do not use a stone hone unless your very steady. Any angularity using a stone hone will cause a poor cross hatch and remove too much material. One last tip is to use marvel mystery oil when installing pistons instead of regular oil. Just something I do.

7. BayouBlazer88

Thanks for the info. I had originally bought a stone-type hone but I'll soon and go exchange it for a dingle ball hone. Also, what solvent would you recommend me use to clean off the hone? Can I use carb cleaner or is that too harsh? Thanks.

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Cleaning with solvent between each cylinder is a good tip . Mineral spirits is a pretty good and cheap solvent to use . If you are going to soak your hands in the m/s than add some ATF to it to keep your hands from drying up - just a trick of the trade . HTH , Tom

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the info. I had originally bought a stone-type hone but I'll soon and go exchange it for a dingle ball hone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely use a ball hone if you're new at this. Stone type hones work very well (better than ball hones IMO, as long as the cylinder is straight and round) but if you've never done this before, you're MUCH better off with a ball type hone.

Good luck and go for it. I wish I had the cash to build another motor right about now with all the problems I've had with this used one I got for free.

10. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

When would a person use a stone hone? A score in a cylinder maybe? Or is the stone hone mainly ment for shops with the equipment to use them?

11. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

I found this company on the net, quite intersting.
    web page

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A stone hone does a better job of honing the cylinder if it's perfectly round.

13. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I never could find a ball hone anywhere where I live, anyone have any tips?

14. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

NAPA auto parts, I am sure almost all good auto parts stores can order you one. check out some of the mail order go fast parts stores. Doug Herbert is someplace back there summit, Jegs, Northern auto parts, PAW engine parts etc.

15. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Are you building it in Lafayette? I could come give you a hand. Let me know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. BayouBlazer88

Yeah I'm building it in Lafayette. I live around Dulles drive which is west of Ambassador Caffrey, almost in Scott. I appreciate the offer but it looks like I'll be letting the machine shop do the cam installation as well as the cylinder honing, since it would cost just as much to let a pro do it as it would to buy the tools. But if I need a hand in the future or if you need any help, let me know.