Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d 44 help *DELETED*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nstarry, Apr 12, 2004.

1. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

Post deleted by nstarry

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: d 44 help

They make a D44 in 4.09 and the 14 ff comes in 4.10. That's close enough. They need to be within 2% of each other I believe, and that is well within that parameter.

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Like Tim said, no problem. My D44 has 4.09's (45/11) and my 14BFF has 4.10's(41/10). No problems whatsoever in 4wd. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I had the same set up on my D44/14FF combo. I did a little research on why it was that way. I found that the slightly higher gears on the front are supposed to make it turn better in 4wd. The thinking in it is the front end pull more in a turn when engaged. That is just the way it is I guess.

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

the axles on my blazer came from a 72 ford 3/4ton truck also
    in original makeup they were 409front and 410 rear /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I had the same set up on my D44/14FF combo. I did a little research on why it was that way. I found that the slightly higher gears on the front are supposed to make it turn better in 4wd. The thinking in it is the front end pull more in a turn when engaged. That is just the way it is I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

No that's just an old wife's tale... (er someone talking sh*t in the garage), anyway the front Dana 44 was not built by GM while the rear 14FF was (but seems to be based on the old Eaton axles used from the 50's thru early 70's). The engineers just picked what ever off the shelf ratios were close enough and went with them. Redesigning the axle or making special gears would have cost more than just picking off the shelf parts that were already available from Spicer, Eaton, or whoever. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

heres this then, the pinion on the 373 14 bolt is 11 count so in theory I should only have to replace the ring gear to go 410s right because it runs 11 count pinion also ??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The tooth size will be different, so if you just swap ring gears only, they are going to have a hard time meshing together and wear out a hell of a lot faster.

9. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

so much for saving 500 bucks because I am not going to swap that stuff myself I want the truck to be reliable and lately everything I bolt on to this stupid thing doesent work /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif