Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d-44 shaft differences, 1 grove/2 grove ect..help!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by supersize75k5, Oct 28, 2004.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I need some d44 tech help here...

I currently have external hubs on my d44, the shafts I swaped in came from a internal hub d44 so I assume that does not make a difference.

What shaft have the 2 groves on the stub shafts? which ones had the single grove?

what years inter-change or wont work? Will the duel grove work in the single groove? Or more important is will it work the other way around?

do the hubs external or internal make a dfference?

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

thanks in advance,

-shawn

2. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

im with him /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif!!!

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The stubs should be all the same. The only difference is if they are the 1 or 2 groove, or if they are off and early D44 with 260x joints.

I am not sure about the external hub thing but with my internals I have run both 1 and 2 groove stubs. The only difference for me is that on some stubs I can't use the small snapring that clips on the stub shaft. I can only use the large one that clips into the hub assembly.

They are many different variations of the 1 and 2 groove stubs. Some of the 2 grooves are 10 bolt stubs that were from that auto locking hub era that had a second snapring on the stub behind the inner locking hub body, etc.

Bottom line is they should all be the same except for the groove thing. Does it matter with internal hubs? No. Does it matter with externals? I don't think so (as the bolts hold the hub in place instead of my large internal snapring) but I don't know for sure.

Harley

P.S. D44 and 10 bolt stubs should interchange.

4. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

thank you Harley, I think we had this issue when we went parts hounding a while back?

so would it all rely on the single slip, if that failed...???

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Your externals are bolted on so the bolts would have to fail to get the hub to come loose. My internals are only held in by the large snapring. I doubt that that ring will come out on its own. It is a pain in the ass to get out when you are trying to get it out. Even if it does the hub would just fall out or break. Then I would either reinstall it of put my spare hub in.

Harley

6. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

1 grove, 2 groves, 3 groves, it does not matter on a D44 with Warn Premium hubs, they don't require the snap ring to be installed on the stub shaft. I don't run snap rings on either hub. It's totally optional. The outer stub shafts fit on both 10 bolts, and or D44 shafts, but only the stub shaft.

Throw the snap rings away if you are using Warn Premium Hubs and don't worry about it.

Rob

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm with you guys.

When I ran a 10 bolt I never ran that snap ring at all.