Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d-60 carrier woes...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by readymix, Jul 5, 2004.

1. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Well today was the day i started to install the spare spiders i got off of E-Bay. Almost everything went wrong too.

First i found out one of the stock hubs is shot. good excuse for the warn premiums.
    Second.. after i get the diff cover off i find out that the PO of the truck broke the head off of the bolt that holds the shaft for the spiders in the carrier. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    So i guess his fix was to drill a hole all the way through the carrier and install a drift pin. Not realising what he had done i stuck an easy out in the hole and snapped it right off.
    After this happened i beat the piss out of the diff cover with a 4lb sledge.....then i felt a little better so i went back to work.
    After removing the carrier i decided the only way to get the damn spiders out was to drill out the offending drift pinsince the hammer would not budge the drift pin. Remember there is a brocken easy out in there!!! So a drilling i went. and out came the drift pin after about 30 min of slow drilling. Then i tried to push out the rod but it was stuck a little harder than i have ever seen one. Come to find out the thing will hit the ring gear when you try to get it out....
    again out came the 4lb sledge "motivator" and the hammer won the war.

This is the part that really pisses me off. I grabbed the new spiders and they are for a 10 Bolt not a 60 /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

So i took the whole thing apart for no reason. I might as well change the seals now while i am in there.

One question though. Can i use a long bolt to hold the rod in place instead of a bigger drift pin? Or should i just get a bigger drift pin? Last resort will be to go out and buy a detroit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

UMMM dont 60s have a pin for the cross shaft instead of a bolt? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

If they do then i am an ass and you may fire at will /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    I cant imagine the machine work done to the carrier was from the factory. The holes were not even close to lined up and they had grinder marks on one side of the spiders seating area. That and there was a gouge in the cross shaft so i know it has been removed before.
    The only things i have ever taken apart and regeared are a few 10 bolts and one 14 FF. Either way the pin had to be drilled out after i broke the easy out.

Then again if i would have recieved 60 spiders instead of 10 bolt spiders i would have noticed that the bolt was really a pin.
    Just goes to show that i still learn something everyday. Maybey i will just turn this carrier into a big booger weld /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Can anyone confirm if i am retarded and it was supposed to have a pin thet holds the cross shaft??

5. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I have a D60 35 spline open diff if you are interested. $30 + shipping.... gears and all (not sure what ratio)

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

D60 certainly has a roll pin in it from the factory to hold the cross shaft in.

I used my air hammer, on a punch to drive it out. I couldn't get it to budge with a regular hammer but one tap with the air hammer and it was out in seconds.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yes, it is a roll pin. And it only goes out one way, you have to drive it from the ring side...

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

my latest 60 is open and has a rollpin
    and it has Spicer hubs, never will I waste my time with Warn crap again
    these hubs are COOL