Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D*mn TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Jun 13, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Ok the truck died on the way home for lunch. I was just driving down the street and it started to shut off then I hit the gas and it tried to start again and then it just died on me. it isnt that hot here so im not sure what the hell happened any ideas of what it might be?

2. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

I'm sur you know it could be a lot of things. I would start by seeing if you have spark, if you do Then check fuel pressure. also check all fuses.

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

fuel pump or filter.

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Ignition module. Have it tested.

5. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

Same thing happened to me once. Previous Owner installed a kill switch but didnt bother to use connectors on the ends of the wires. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif He just twisted the wire onto the switch. They worked loose and I got stuck. My money is on the side of electrical problems.

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Check the Dist. wire..

7. jberg62

jberg62 1/2 ton status

I second the ignition module diagnosis.
    I've lived through that one. When they go...they just go.
    If you do end up changing the module you may as well go ahead and change the coil also.
    If one distributor electronic component went the next one will not be too far behind.
    Good luck and please tell us all what you find did actually cause the sudden 'cut-out'
    Jim

8. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

I'll put in a third vote for the module. If you haven't converted your distributer, you have a 5 pin version. You also will have an ECM under the dash behind the glove box. It could be that too. I converted mine to the older-style HEI with a 4 pin module and it hasn't given me any problems since. That was about 5 years ago. When it was the 5 pin/ECM set up, I went through 3 modules and 2 ECM's in about 2 years. There are several older posts in this forum about the conversion. It's not very hard to do and it saves a lot of headaches.

9. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

AND the WINNER is MUDDYSUB yes it was the damn fuel pump hey only the second one in a year and a half!