Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d@!$ oil leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shupach, May 8, 2001.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

i'm having a minor oil leak that somehow drips oil onto the exhaust just after the manifold, i tightened the bolts on the valve covers cause it looked like that was leakin, i also checked where the dipstick is and nutting much there, is there i spot i haven't checked thats prone to leaking, i look at the exhaust and sometimes there isn't even oil dripping onto it, theres just a black mark from oil a long time ago. any help is good help

phill

2. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    yeah, lots of places. Where the distributor gos into the block. Where the oil pressure sending unit screws in on the back of the block on the drivers side of the distributor. The oil pan, rear main seal, or front main seal could all be driping and being knocked into the exaust at highway speed. Same gos for mech fuel pumps and the casting on the front of the block that allows access to the fuel pump rod. It could even be the the lip seals on the front or back of the intake manifold.

Spaky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

3. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

checked all that, it seams to be coming from the cylinder head around cyl 7. right by the dipstick but a bit farther back.

philll

4. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I think they make dye for engine oil. Clean up the engine. You add dye with the oil change. Then use a black light and amber colored glasses to track down the leak. You might try looking without it as it may be hard to get the stuff out of the block for several oil changes and if you need to put dye in something else (e.g. a/c freon) and it's the same color, you could have trouble telling what is leaking from where via dye.

Good Luck,
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>David, '86 & '91 K5</font color=red>
    Forever missing Dale Earnhardt, who drove over more Fords than we could ever dream of

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would bet it is still the valve covers. What kind are they? Pull them off and check for cracked gaskets or overtightened gaskets. If they are the stamped metal or chrome they can warp around the bolt holes. Buy extending tabs (low $$$$) or aluminum covers (high $$$$). Dave

6. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

i think it was the dipstick, i kinda installed one of the shafts backwards etc, and so i didn't seal it right but i resealed it w/ rtv stuff, permatex stuff, works great.
    thanks for your help

phill

btw i have the chrome edelbrock valve covers, i just replaced the gasket a couple weeks ago, and yes it has the spreader tab things for the bolts

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Good - sorry for the basic questions. Had to start somewhere.
    Did you install the shaft (tube?) backwards for clearance reasons?

8. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

not really, i was just a dumbass, but it works

phill