Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D-shaft splines ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by loafer, Apr 7, 2007.

1. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

I just took appart my rear drive shaft because the splined-slip-part was so bound up it wouldn't move. Is it normal for the splines to be coated with plastic? I've never seen this on factory shafts. The plastic (maybe nylon) is starting to split and come off, which is why I think it is binding. I'm affraid if I remove it all the shaft will be too sloppy though. Has anyone else run into this? The shaft is from Arizona Drive Lines and is about 3 years old. This is the third time I've taken it appart to clean/regrease the slines, but the first time I noticed the plastic coating splitting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

So nobody has seen plastic coated d-shaft splines before?

3. superwrench

superwrench Registered Member

Not uncomon for that it is supposed to help keep them from binding up incase you forget to grease it. It doesnt always work.

4. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

OK, Thanks.

I wound up just cutting off the plastic that was cracking or breaking off and leaveing the rest. I greasd the hell out of it and put it back together and it seams to work fine now. If it happens again I will scrape all the plastic off.