Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 & 10 Bolt front brake line help.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Beast388, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I need to replace my stock front brake lines with something longer. I want to use the extended Napa (or other) lines that have been listed numerous times here on CK5.

I know that the D44 uses a 7/16" (0.438) banjo and the 10 bolt uses a 10mm (0.394) banjo. From what I understand the extended 10b lines can be drilled for the D44 banjo, but there will need to be some modification to the mounting area of the line, caliper or both.

If anyone has pics of a 10b caliper with the line running to it, post them up so I can see how much modifying needs to be done so I can use extended 10b lines on my D44 calipers.

I have considered just switching to 10b calipers, but I have already clearenced my current ones for my wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I want to explore this cheapy option before I shell out $80-100 for extended stainless lines. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Thanks in advance for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[​IMG]

As you can see, I've got D44 calipers with the Napa lines. I had to drill out the center hole for the 7/16" bolt, and I also had to shorten the bolt a little as the hose end(big square brass end)is thinner on the 10b lines than the 7/16" bolt(so in other words, you'll bottom out the bolt before the bolt hits the square brass hose end). Does this help any?

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Sweet!....thanks Jeff! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

So the end on the 10b line is square like the D44.....but without the ears that engage the caliper?

Heck, If I have to ream a hole and shorten a bolt to make this work....piece o'cake. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Anybody else done this mod? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So the end on the 10b line is square like the D44.....but without the ears that engage the caliper?

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is a big 10-4 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Another question....what type of frame-end do the Napa lines have. Is it the threaded end or the clip-type end? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

It threads into the hard line like normal, then i just took my dremel to the inside of the stock "U" clip to make it a tad bigger. I can get a pic of that also if you'd like /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It threads into the hard line like normal, then i just took my dremel to the inside of the stock "U" clip to make it a tad bigger. I can get a pic of that also if you'd like /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I should have clarified /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif.......I need to know how they mount to the frame. Mine have a threaded nut, and I know some later rigs had the clip type end. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

So, it sounds like the Napa lines are the clip type? A picture would help alot....thanks Jeff! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[​IMG]
    It actually fits thru the hole in the framerail to screw into the hard line on the otherside....then as you can see, i just slightly ground out that clip to hold it in place /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif