Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 3/4, 10B 1/2 8 lug versus 6 lug

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Codeman96, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

Will my 6 lug stuff from my 10 bolt swap over to a 3/4 ton 44? If I do this swap I want to stay 6 lug so can I use my 6 lug rotors on the 3/4 ton 44? The rotors caliper etc. on my current 10bolt are pretty new and I would prefer to stick with them and I don't want to change wheels/tires. I have to go and check out the 3/4 ton front and double check (I don't have them at home right now) that it is in deed a 44 but I am almost positive. In short to pick through my ramblings what will and won't interchange?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Use your everything from the knuckle out , and your fine .

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Does the D44 have the ratio you need, or do you just want a D44? There is just about no strength difference between the two and only real benefit would be for gears....

4. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

Yeah my brother-in-law gave me the axles out of a truck he is scrapping (may have parts to sell soon). 3/4 ton with 14bff and 44 with 4.10s since the axles are free and I want to keep my 6 hole wheels I am just trying to sort out what I do and don't need. I have found a set of adapters for the rear and I just want to cover all of my bases befor buying those and finding I have more problems.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Aw, 10-4... Then what do what Pauly said. :D If the D44 has the large bearing spindles, then they are the same as your 10 bolt..

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

What year is the D44? If it's '77 or newer then the only things you need to swap are the backing plates and hub/rotor assembly. I would install new axle joints at this time also since it's apart.

7. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

Not sure on the year of axles because this truck is something he peiced together but I am almost positive that everything is post '80. I shouldn't need to change joints either he says that was done when he put this thing together and litteraly drove it no more than 500 miles before it was parked with motor trouble.

8. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

you are trying to upgrade your truck to3/4 ton for towing, right? and you want to keep your 6 lug wheels, but install a 14bff rear? are you planning to run 2 different wheels?

9. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

Using adapters for the rear.

10. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

OK, so you are going to change the front outers out to so you don't have to change gears out.

1. good adapters are not going to be cheap
    2. 14b hub may not fit your current wheels
    3. spacer would make your rear wider than your front (maybe)
    4. 2 adapters would cost as much as 4 steel wheels (adapters aint cheep)

I bought my 15x10s wagons new for about 220 shipped, the adapter I know of cost 150 each.

good luck and happy towing with that burban